PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I just made a purchase of some new tobaccos (new to me). I got Nightcap, Charing Cross, Gaslight, and SPC Plumpudding flake on the way. What do you guys think about those? I've been really enjoying Quiet Nights lately and wanted to see how his other blends are for a change of pace. Wasn't that impressed with Chelsea Morning, but need to give it more time. Also really look forward to Nightcap and Plumpudding for whatever reason, always wanted to try them.

Last edited:

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
It's funny you guys say I should try 965. I was just about to add it to my purchase. I'll give it a shot next time for sure. And I agree about Pease's blends taking time to figure out. Quiet Nights took me a while to get, but I love it and now am proud to own a pound of it.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Really enjoyed Plumpudding Special Reserve Flake. Nice, thick flakes mind you. It's a pretty good smoke, but I may prefer Quiet Nights. It needs more time and I don't think I rubbed it out enough. Also, smoked more of Chelsea Morning. I want to see how it compares to Charing Cross, yet to be smoked. I do like it more than I did the other day. It's definitely a morning smoke. I really still like McConnell's Oriental for in the AM. Nightcap had a perfect burn. Was the perfect, ready to smoke out of the tin. I enjoyed that one as well. Will update.

Reactions: PaulRVA

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't get you hopes too high. They aren't exactly greatest blends, but not the worst. Nightcap is an old favorite, so they get high mark. But, it's just a stout Lat blend. Plum Pudding has good complexity, maybe too much. It definitely helps to be in a jar for few months.

Reactions: PaulRVA and JOHN72

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Don't get you hopes too high. They aren't exactly greatest blends, but not the worst. Nightcap is an old favorite, so they get high mark. But, it's just a stout Lat blend. Plum Pudding has good complexity, maybe too much. It definitely helps to be in a jar for few months.
Nightcap was one of the ones that spoke to me the most. I didn't find it to be a lat bomb, but the latakia is definitely in the lead. As far as the Pease blends, all of them I've tried so far have had great burn and flavor. They are becoming my favorites. And yes, Chelsea Morning is really growing on me. I cannot wait to try Charing Cross, but I must space it out to keep it fun. Keep in mind that none of the other ones do I have more than a couple bowls under my belt. I'm happy so far.

Last edited:

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I think I'm going to be purchasing Bengal Slices as my next blend. I have heard it is similar to Plum Pudding, but with licorice which I really like. I need to slow down and enjoy the ones I have...which indeed I am!

Reactions: MattRVA

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Just smoked a bowl of Nightcap and it is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine. I think I'll keep updating this as I progress. I can see smoking this every night, like Quiet Nights. It is it's own thing though and lighter, while still being completely satifying. I cannot believe that I haven't tried it before. I can't see myself smoking PPSR flake every night. I've yet to touch Gaslight.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I wish people would put their location on their profile...even the country. It makes giving suggestions difficult. Some EU brands are hard to get in the US and the reverse is also true. GL Pease is avaliable in Europe but at double the US price. 24 dollars a tin is pretty dear.

MacBaren is everywhere. If you like Lats you might enjoy HH Latakia Flake. Its got a nice sweet note and the lat is always present but moves back and forth from foreground to background.

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow