PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronbear

Lurker
Feb 7, 2012
Hi folks, just joined, I have never smoked before but I have always loved the smell of piped tobacco when in the presence of a pipe smoker, I know nothing of pipe brands , tobacco brands or pipe smoking etiquette so I joined to learn from you experienced folk about the art of and enjoying a good smoke and advice on various brands as I see there are so much out there to try, one thing I do know I love the church warden style pipe and its a specific make i'm after its the bowl shape that im interested in, please check out this video on utube of a young lady smoking one looking totally awesome , could any of you folks identify the make for me?

http://youtu.be/xfnk3G9C-f8
thanks
Ahrenpaul

johninkc

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2012
The bowl shape is an interpretation of a Dublin, being brought out to almost a pot shape.
In other words, it's a freehand.
Here's a super resource on pipe shapes:
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Shapes

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I can't see the video link since youtube is blocked at my work, so I can't comment on the pipe. However, I would like to welcome you to the forum. :puffy:

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Welcome to the forum. You wont find a better bunch of guys then on here. Learn much and dont get frustraited with the learning proces of smoking a pipe bro.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
more good info for any new pipe smoker
Make sure that your pipe is cleaned from your previous smoke before loading and packing fresh tobacco.

Use Less Tobacco Than You Think You Need

Pack Looser Than You Think You Need To

Always Check the Draw of the Pipe Before Lighting

Always leave at least 1/8 of an inch (I prefer closer to 1/4 of an inch) of space from the top of the tobacco to the rim.

Perform a Charring Light

Tamp Less Frequently and With Less Pressure

and its ok to relight

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Agreed on the dublinesque shape of the churchwarden in that video. Best bet is to drop by all the tobacconist shops that are close to you and see if you can spot something you like. Or visit the website of any or all of the sponsors of this site and see if they offer what you're looking for.
Some things to keep in mind re: churchwardens.

1. You'll want to find churchwarden (long) pipe cleaners. The standard size isn't long enough.[/*]
  2. If you're just starting out, get a shorter pipe, too. I find that with my CW, it's sometimes a little difficult to figure out what's happening in the bowl 'cause it's so far away. Might be easier to learn how to smoke a pipe with a shorter one. You'll want more than one pipe anyways, to rest them between bowls. [/*]
Happy smoking!
Simon

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Welcom,you came to the right place. I can't view your video for some reason? My advice would be buy the best pipe you can afford.one you like the look and feel of. since you are a new to smoking small-ish bowl pipes would be a good starting point. Church wardens are a good choice. Smoking pipes has three savinelli church wardens on sale for fifty bucks. Check the link. Scroll down a bit to see them, then all the way at the botttom there are some starter kits.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/specials.cfm

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
Glad to have you here! I hope this the beginning of a long and fulfilling obsession. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.