PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saviorslegacy

Lurker
Jan 20, 2011
Alright, I have been pipe smoking for almost a year now and I finally decided to seek some advice. So here are some of my questions.
I believe the kind of pipe I have is a briar straight stem pipe. Here's a picture of it.
screen-capture-3-1.png

Can anyone tell me about it and possibly its age?

On the side it reads:

Willard

Imported Briar

The stem also screws off.
I have only smoked two different kinds of tobacco. The first was a cheap bag of mint flavored tobacco. The second was a higher quality tobacco called Maple Street by Sutliff Private Stock. It's maple and old rum flavored. The second I like a lot.

I like the almost creamy feel of it. I also like how it is slightly sweet.

What are some good kinds of tobacco that you liked? Also, is there a sampler that I can buy? That way I don't have to buy a whole bag or tin to try one flavor or type of tobacco.
What is the purpose of the stem screwing off of my pipe? I use it to pack the bowl since my fingers are to fat to pack it.
Is there a thread or website that shows how properly clean and maintain a pipe? Cuz I like my pipe and I want to take care of it.
What is the best method of lighting a pipe?

I use a bic lighter. Traditionally I know that matches are used. Is there a difference?
I experimented and taught myself what is in my mind, the best way to pack a pipe. Please correct the following.

"Lightly pack the tobacco into the bowl about 3 or 4 times." "Then pack one top layer a bit firmer." "The best way to light it up is to toast the top a little, let it go out, push the tobacco down into the bowl compacting it and creating an even to layer." "Simply light up at this point and enjoy."

As I said, I really don't know anything so please correct me where I am wrong.
Oh, and what is this corn cob pipe I've been seeing in the advertisements? Is that a real corn cob? If so, how does it smoke?
Edit: Copied, Resized, and Fixed photo, Bubba

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
It looks like the pipe might be a Dr. Grabow. I'm not too sure though.
As for cleaning your pipe, Bubba has an excellent video on it:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/new-blog-post
Pipesandcigars.com has great sampler packages, IMO. However, the best is if there is a tobacconist or cigar/pipe tobacco shop near by. Many times they'll have a jar where you can sniff and either pinch or buy a sampling. However, if you're going to buy a few ounces at a time (honestly, 1 ounce is more than enough to try out a tobacco, doesn't sound like much but seeing how 1 ounce is more than 50 grams and each bowl is only about 2-3 grams, you can basically smoke the same 1 ounce 20 or so times).
The stem screwing off the pipe? Do you have a picture? Do you mean removing the stem from the shank? It's for cleaning - if there's a metal piece, it's a stinger that keeps tobacco from going up through the stem and into your mouth.
Hope this answered some of your questions :) and welcome to the forum.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think Onizuka is right on in terms of purchasing from a local smoke shop. Be careful of packages that SAY they are pipe tobacco when in reality they are just wider cuts of cigarette rolling tobacco. I think Onizuka meant to say that say that 50 grams (the average size of a tin of tobacco usually produced outside of the US) actually equals out to 1.76 oz., but his 2-3g/bowl is about right particularly for the size that I'm guessing your Willard (which was a line produced by Dr. Grabow) is. From what little I've read of them they all have a screw-on stem. This is so that when cleaning your pipe, you can the pipe cleaner into the tenon and chamber and clean them out well.
Your question about lighting can really only be answered by you. If it gets the tobacco, lit, it works. As for the question about how you pack, it sounds like you're on the right track, but it really depends on many factors such as: type of tobacco being smoked (i.e. flake, ribbon, etc.), pipe characteristics, and best of all, how YOU smoke (if you puff hard, slow, etc.).
Hope this helps.
-Jason

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Oh, you're right - I wasn't thinking clearly, I meant 50 grams to be about 2 oz, LOL!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
savior--just spend some time on the site here reading the AMAZING wealth of information in the articles (to your left) and searching the forums (on your upper right). Nearly any question you have will be answered with a treasure trove of tips, tricks, hints, and general good advices. You've definitely come to the right place to pursue the pipe. And to echo lordnoble's sentiments, after you read about everyone else's two cents' worth, you'll be only better equipped to develop your own methods--one of the great beauties of pipe smoking is its purely individualized enjoyment!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I find Willard listed on the logos site but no real information about them.I have some that came from an old gent Mom used to take care of. Not bad pipes at all. If you like the Maple Street then give C&D Autumn Evening a try, Very tasty.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome to the site!
Everyone has given accurate information, save on two small points.

The following is just my opinion, but I think most here will concur.
When you are about to "true light" your pipe, after your "char light"... when you tamp down your tobacco do so gently. The idea being to create only a consistent surface area that will be receptive to your flame. Puff gently to get it stoked, and don't let it get overly hot by puffing too aggressively.
The second is the difference between butane and matches. There are a couple of differences. The butane flame is an aggressive flame; meaning that it tends to be considerably hotter than a match flame. I use butane lighters for the most part, out of convenience (which is contrary to the nature of pipe smoking). Matches are more gentle; having a lower temperature and thus providing a more flavorful and potentially longer smoke.
Once again; welcome to the site.

We're all happy and willing to provide our 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.