PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxsteve751

Lurker
Jul 21, 2012
So I just started smoking a pipe, I used to smoke ciggarettes, I enjoy cigars. So I picked up a cheap pipe and 2 bulk tobaccos from a tobacco store, both aromatics. They tasted like sweet air to me. So I went to the tobacco store and looked through the tins reading the descriptions not really knowing what I would like but decided to buy a tin of Sutliff Balken Luxury blend 957 and am glad I did because its so much better then the few bowls of those aromatics I've smoked.
That being said my question is what does that mean? I assume that means I like strong blends. When I go to the store to pick up a new tin what should I be looking for based that I like the above mentioned blend.
Thanks

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Sounds like you're starting out with "English" style blends. Not necessarily strong but more complex than the aromatics you bought. You could vary your next picks with a Virginia/Perique (Va/Per) or continue to explore the blends with Va's and latakia. If you ask the tobacconist for some advice I'm sure he'll recommend something nice for you.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I don't have much experience with Perique.It sounds though as if you might enjoy something like.. Frog Morton On The Bayou. Welcome to the wonderful and often times cash comsuming world of pipes and tobacco..Welcome to the group as well.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Welcome mxsteve and unit562...... :puffy:
The good news is you didn't get a bad experience and simply bail.

You are entering a world of more variations than you would have believed possible in nail world.
now comes the fun part, figuring out your sweet spot. Stick with it and i'm sure you will find the perfect blend.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
For a beginner trying out some English, Larry's Blend, Frog Morton series, Margate, Dunhill Nitecap, Dunhill EMP

These are all good and not too strong, I am sure you will enjoy them.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Here's a rule that's worked pretty well for me.
The stinkier the tobacco smells in the jar, the better it tastes.
Of course you'll come to LOVE this stinky smell, so... goodluck! lol

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Welcome to the forum and the world of pipe smoking, mxsteve751.
At Luxury Tobacco Reviews you will find different tobacco categories listed on the left of the page.
I'd suggest trying some from each category. They are all different - all good.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mxsteve751, welcome to the forum. Pipe smoking is unlike any other type of smoking. There is a large learning curve and you need to do as much reading as you can so you can really enjoy yourself. There is a lot of trial and error trying to figure out what you like to smoke and what you should smoke your tobacco in.
There are basic groups to blends, English, Virginia, Virginia/Perique and Aromatics. Go to luxurytobaccoreviews.com and tobaccoreviews.com, and read until your eyes bleed. Also read all you can here in regards to packing and lighting and smoking techniques. Also don't be afraid to ask questions, we are here to answer them.
Here are 4 blends that I would recommend to a newbie from the 4 categories.
English= Frog Morton

Virginia= Astley's no. 44 Dark Flake

Virginia/Perique= Escudo

Aromatic= Newminster Blackberry Brandy
You can purchase all of these from one of our sponsors cigarsandpipes.com. They are great to do business with. As far as pipes go grab a couple of inexpensive Savinelli's from them as well. Tell them you want a group 5-6 size.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Good recommends from cigrmaster. I'll add a few more from the 'category stretcher' category:
GL Pease's Haddo's Delight and Cairo. and Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding.
For Aromatics I would recommend trying the rarely mentioned Savinelli Cavendish.

Status
Not open for further replies.