New Study Aims to Reduce Pipe-Smoking in the U.K.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Read through one of the studies referenced. Not surprising non cigarette tobacco use is up.

Everyone that took the Covid vaccine took a much greater gamble with their long term health than enjoying pipes occasionally. Unpopular opinion: more is known about the long term effects of tobacco use than is known about long term health effects of MRNA vaccines in humans. I’m sure the research literature will have more to say about both in decades to come.

Total disclosure, I did get the Covid vax, and I also enjoyed a fantastic bowl of Arrowhead today. Life is about enjoying. Thanks for posting the article OP.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Al
Read through one of the studies referenced. Not surprising non cigarette tobacco use is up.

Everyone that took the Covid vaccine took a much greater gamble with their long term health than enjoying pipes occasionally. Unpopular opinion: more is known about the long term effects of tobacco use than is known about long term health effects of MRNA vaccines in humans. I’m sure the research literature will have more to say about both in decades to come.

Total disclosure, I did get the Covid vax, and I also enjoyed a fantastic bowl of Arrowhead today. Life is about enjoying. Thanks for posting the article OP.
Also. It appears that the lower end of the 95% confidence interval for pipe smoking could mean that a person that enjoys pipes has the same statistical hazard ratio as a non-smoker. I’m going to be enjoying more Arrowhead tomorrow while walking my dog. 😂

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)

I'm in the same boat. To me it was take my chances with the bug or the cure. So it is with tobacco. The air around me is filled with crap I'm sure, the soil, the food, the added salt and sugars, the millions of other bugs around me, so why worry about the puddle in front of me when there is a wave coming into shore. As if changing only the tobacco in my life would somehow let me live forever.

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
A story today in The Critic. Excerpted:
Thanks for the link. This excerpt was also interesting;

“ According to a study of American males published in 2010, there is no difference in mortality risk between cigar smokers and non-smokers once you adjust for cigarette smoking and other confounding variables. A subsequent study, also from the USA, found that pipe and cigar smokers have a higher rate of mortality than non-smokers but a much lower rate than cigarette smokers, with the risks of cigar smoking being 80 per cent lower and the risks of pipe smoking 90 per cent lower.”

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Al

Also. It appears that the lower end of the 95% confidence interval for pipe smoking could mean that a person that enjoys pipes has the same statistical hazard ratio as a non-smoker. I’m going to be enjoying more Arrowhead tomorrow while walking my dog. 😂
Not to sidetrack, but which arrowhead are you smoking? Have you done a review here yet?

Reactions: AroEnglish

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
I love my pipe & it won't stop. Quite excited that I may end up buying my 1792 Flake through a 'dealer'!! Also since more tax was added to sugared pop and we have been told not to drink it, I have drank more. Protest, but also prefer it. Sugar free cola for me is poop. My Navy Rum always needs proper Coke or Pepsi. Just not same without. Rant over

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
Pipe smoking , for me, is more than worrying about the statistics. Hell, you can walk outside and get hit by a bus! Life is too short, there seems to be too many things not to enjoy. Well as for me I love this hobby ,no this lifestyle,the collecting, the tobaccos,the journey!
Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow you may die.