PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I broke the tenon of the cheap yellow plastic mouth piece of my much beloved MM 150 Years Anniversary Bulldog. I decided to build a new one from scratch. There was left a last piece of ebonite cumberland rod in my workshop.

The good news was that I didn't need a lathe for the mouthpiece. I don’t have one. The mouthpiece was square, best to work on that flat surfaces with a file.

The tricky part was, how do I get a suitable tenon? It had to have a diameter of just under nine millimeters. But I only have a 10 millimeter tenon cutter at my disposal mounted to the drill press. I also drilled the airway step by step from 5 to 4 and 3 millimetres to get a good draw similar to the original, the last done with a tapered drill.

I cut two pieces of wood, which I glued together at one end with sturdy adhesive tape to form scissors. I initially drilled a hole of 10 millimetres in the middle and later added one of 9 millimetres. I lined the halves with sandpaper cut down to size with the cutter. In about two hours, I reduced the diameter of the sawed 10mm tenon to the desired diameter by turning the tenon in the hole with certain pressure applied.

IMG_0081.jpegIMG_0083.jpeg

Once mounted to the pipe I shaped the round rod to flat square surfaces with a file. And build the lip and bore, that’s one of the most time consuming part opening the bore up with just a one millimetres flat needle file.

Now it’s almost done, a few flaws do still need some sandpaper. But I don’t think I will buff the new peace to shine. It suits the rough surfaces of the bulldog in its semi matt finish.

Drums rolling:

IMG_0090.jpegIMG_0089.jpeg

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
The finished stem looks great.

Have you considered using an electric drill as a makeshift lathe?
Yes of course I have already thought about buying a metal lathe for pipe making and other desirable machines. But as making pipes can only ever be a hobby for me, I don't want to invest any more.

An improvised lathe with a drill is not what I dream of. I have an old wood lathe. It takes a lot of practice to master them.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
It's strange to me how "Hand Made" pipes are worth more then a pipe turned on a lathe minus the brand name of course. A dunhill can sell for alot of money but not like an Ivarsson. Unless it has a gold eifel tower rim cap lol. Honestly a wood lathe is all you need unless your turning stems and tennons, and if all you need to make is stems and tennons, the small pen making lathe from harbor freight would do the job and some.

Honestly though, that stem came out great and it's yours so as long as your happy that's all that matters. Now if you want to sell it I'm not sure it would add that much more value but I would buy it for sure.

Reactions: UB 40

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Cobs with handmade stems have been selling just above $100 for the past few years. The one above outclasses many that I've seen.
I can understand why hand made stems like this aren’t cheap. It’s a lot of work. In total I worked approximately 8 hours on this one. And to finish it up to shine would be another hour or two.

Thank you for your benevolent assessment.