New Smoker Placing First Online Order, What do You Think?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2013
So as a few of you know I'm new to the whole pipe community and I smoked many aromatic blends but the taste/flavors just aren't there for me. Anyways I'm just posting this to show what Exactly I'm orering to try out. I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on what I've chosen.
1) G.L. Pease Westminister or Odyssey (haven't decided)

2) A & C Escudo Navy

3) Dunhill flake or Petterson University (also can't decided just yet).
Like I said let me know if you have tried any of these, or if you reccomend one over the other.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Looks great -- all great choices, there. You've got a couple of top-notch latakia/English blends, a VA-Perique blend, a pure VA flake and a burley flake. Trying different blends is half the fun, even if you end up trading or giving away a blend you don't love.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
If you can buy bulk you might want to consider it, until you have defined your tastes. It's alot cheaper to start with.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Nice selection for a new pipe smoker. You will certainly be able to find one in your selection that you like better than the others but they are all super tobaccos IMO. Go for it, and enjoy. :clap:

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'd say Westminster > Odyssey. Westminster is great, and could be a go to blend for me if I order enough. But I normally just get a tin and smoke it :( none in the cellar! The Cellar is full of Meridian, Lagonda, Key Largo, and Haddo's!
For your other decision, I've had University Flake and liked it. But I haven't had the Dunhill flake so I can't say which is better.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I haven't tried University Flake but Dunhill Flake is my only tobacco I have cellared presently.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I would say that Dunhill flake it more forgiving to a new smoker than University Flake. This is just my own experience though. U Flake can be a harsh mistress if you get it too hot.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I like both UF and DF and cellar both. I smoke the DF in the mornings and UF later in the day as it has more strength. I say get both. If you spend 100.00 you can get free shipping at a number of our sponsors. Do you have enough pipe cleaners, need any shank brushes to clean your pipes. Need a pipe knocker for your ashtray? Lot's of accessories that you can buy to get up to 100.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.