PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
At least we are all enjoying the Delayed Gratification Technique for a change
Apparently if your patience threshold exceeds 30 seconds you're doing better than average these days.
Modern Patience Thresholds Lower Than Ever Before
Respondents reported becoming frustrated after just 16 seconds of waiting for a web page to load, and after 25 seconds of waiting for a traffic light to change.
https://www.studyfinds.org/hurry-up-modern-patience-thresholds-lower-than-ever-before-survey-finds/

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Monday morning feels so bad,

Ev'rybody seems to nag me

Coming Tuesday I feel better,

Even my old man looks good,

Wednesday just don't go,

Thursday goes too slow,

I've got Friday on my mind
[Chorus: ]

Gonna have fun in the city,

Be with my girl she's so pretty,

She looks fine tonight,

She is out of sight to me,

Tonight... I spend my bread,

Tonight... I lose my head,

Tonight... I got to get tonight

Monday I have Friday on my mind.
Do the five day drag once more,

Know of nothing else that bugs me

More than working for the rich man,

Hey I'll change that scene one day,

Today I might be mad,

Tomorrow I'll be glad,

I've got Friday on my mind,
[Chorus]

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Respondents reported becoming frustrated after just 16 seconds of waiting for a web page to load, and after 25 seconds of waiting for a traffic light to change.
Well, that's eons for a web page; The traffic light, not so much.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well, that's eons for a web page
Yeah, I suppose it is.
Which is interesting when you consider how relatively short a time the internet has been around, and the extent to which we are now dependent on it...and already take it for granted.
But as far as patience and attention spans...both do seem to be at much lower levels on average than they used to be.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
In addition to that, and quite likely a result of it, is 'jump thinking/doing'. HTML's legacy is that people have become unable to read a full text all the way to the end: those links are just too tempting and before they know it they're reading/watching stuff distinct to that which they were concerning themselves with in the first place. This has translated to offline life in the wise of plenty of tasks begun, hardly any seen through—and if they are, they usually aren't completed without many interruptions and wandering-offs. People nowadays just cannot stay focused.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
As a guy who drives 8-10 hours a day, I don't mind waiting at a red light. I do mind waiting at a green light for the four people in front of me each to realize it's time to put down their phones.
OTOH, 16 seconds for a webpage to load is a webpage that isnt worth loading.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Professional Squirrel Translator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCxQxgBqsI

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I just want to say cheers to the people putting in the hard work on the upcoming site. In the past I've worked on teams rolling out a new web site for end-users. It doesn't surprise me that it's taking longer than anticipated; it's a lot of hand-wringing and debugging.
Looking forward to the new site!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
giphy.gif

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Imagine the drama when electricity rolled out?
Reminder to save your pictures from the current site, apparently they are going away.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
3rdguy, I read what Kevin said as all images hosted outside of the site will be lost, but those hosted on pipesmagazine will remain.
MikeThompson, from what I remember reading this is opposite of what's going to happen.

Reactions: 3rdguy

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Agree with Ash: unless they drop the hyperlinks I can't see why an image hosted on another site would disappear. And I can't see why the links would be dropped by the newer software—they're basically just text.

Status
Not open for further replies.