New Sherlock Holmes Original coming - what's best for that pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
My wonderful wife has purchased a beautiful Peterson Sherlock Holmes Original as a Christmas gift for me and I've been good to my promise not to open it early. It's been sitting in it's wrapped box for 2 months now!
As I can smell the finish line at this point, I'm beginning to obsess. I have quite a nice range of tobacco types in my cellar, so wondering what might be optimal to smoke in this sucker. Not really looking for the best break-in tobacco, but I'm more interested in what might be considered the best match for the pipe shape. To be clear, this is the XL305 shape. Supposedly the bowl is quite large, especially in depth.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas/thoughts!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Latakia blends should smoke good in your new pipe if your into those sort of blends. I wouldn't smoke a strong blend in a large bowl pipe. Bottom line though is smoke your favorite blend in the new pipe.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
This is actually a pretty versatile shape. You could go a number of different directions and be safe. Good pipe for a super-complex blend though, you'll taste a lot of different things as the bowl burns down. On the flip side, I probably wouldn't use it for a straight Virginia, but that could be my personal preference.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Jaydublin, I've had the same question. My brother-in-law picked up a Peterson Standard System for me for Christmas at Thomas Hinds in Toronto and I've been racking my brain with what to break it in.
I had been thinking perhaps one of the following (all opinions appreciated),

Durbar

Apertif

GL Pease Gaslight

JF Germain King Charles Mixture

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Stuff it with what you like and fire it up. No more complicated than that.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
I agree with the Peterson Sherlock Holms baccy. Seems fitting as long as you smoke it in the cap and cape.

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions - the specific as well as the broad. I think I will go with the complex idea and choose between Wilderness, BlackHouse and Quiet Nights. Sherlock Holmes is one of the blends I do not have - something I do need to try, though.
Thanks for your input - Happy Holidays to everyone.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Jaydublin, if you intend to keep smoking Virginia based blends down the road you might try McClelland's Christmas Cheer. It is a straight Virginia, usually top of the line stuff. I love it and it always adds a little something special for me and my pipe at Christmas.
The Virginias in Christmas Cheer are top tier stuff.

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
Hi Tennsmoker,
I love VA's. Probably my current favorite is Escudo. I have a few VA-based and straight VAs - Capstan Blue and Yellow (just ran out of the Blue, actually), SG FVF and Medium, etc. I also have McClelland's #24 Matured Virginia and your suggestion - the 2015 Christmas Cheer (not to mention their Wilderness and Frog Morton's Cellar). I agree with you completely, both straights VA McClellands I have are fantastic . FWIW - I've also recently begun to enjoy Rattray's Old Gowrie.
I understand the Christmas Cheer is meant for aging, but I popped it as soon as it arrived, which was a few days after it was released. Excellent stuff already.
Lately I've found myself enjoying the Latakia/English blends more and more as the weather has turned colder here in Maryland - as I only smoke outdoors. I was really leaning on the VAs and VaPers last summer.
Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestion. I couldn't agree more.

Aug 14, 2012
A strong Lat mix is best in a Peterson. The Sherlock Holmes tobacco is interesting. I liked it very much until I found out that after a while it ghosts the pipe, and it takes a long time to smoke away the taste.

royodhner

Lurker
Dec 28, 2015
I bought my first Pete, a Sherlock Holmes Original, at a little pipe shop in Bahrain back in 1989. I've smoked just about everything in it, but it really took to Lakeland blends. Currently smoking Pete Hyde Park in it, but it really loves GH Broken Flake #7. Great Lakeland pipe, but if you don't like "Kendal Sauce" then this combo might not work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.