PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I actually cannot tell you about the old Rossi pipes. However, I have bought 10 Rossi pipes in the last 2 years and all are fine smokers. They have the Savinelli shapes and all easily pass a cleaner (which, I am not 100% particular as some in that regard). I believe them to be one of the best purchases in economical briars.
Thanks, other than the mortise warping out on the one I had, not being able to pass a pipe cleaner through the bit was irritating. I use tapered cleaners mostly, but have never had any other issues with other pipes.

Reactions: dcon
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Excellent! Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll go ahead and pick up another one.
Idk what you're looking to spend, but I've been looking at the Notte line. I think around 65 bucks. The Piccolo belge I have is for rope, and I have a Vittoria Canadian that I was smoking Ennerdale in, but now I'm out of Ennerdale so...hahaha. Both those pipes were under 60 dollars each. The Piccolo like 40 something and the Vittoria like 50 something.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Idk what you're looking to spend, but I've been looking at the Notte line. I think around 65 bucks. The Piccolo belge I have is for rope, and I have a Vittoria Canadian that I was smoking Ennerdale in, but now I'm out of Ennerdale so...hahaha. Both those pipes were under 60 dollars each. The Piccolo like 40 something and the Vittoria like 50 something.

I've had my eye on the Rubino Antico 8606; attractive pipe and I only have a few bent ones so I thought I'd get this one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those Rossi Piccolo pipes look good. I have a Peterson Belgique Rustique about that size that is a fine short smoke or flake/coin/plug/rope pipe for a longer smoke. The late great fish'n'banjo put me onto small pipes and I was surprised. I'd always thought of them as toys or souvenirs, but they are highly useful, as are extra large pipes. Every pipe smoker should have at least one good example of each. Naturally I have more than one of each, but that's inevitable.

J.Henry845

Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
I have a Rossi Salerno Pot that I purchased a few years ago as well as 2 recent production Piccolo pipes and all 3 are solid smokers.

Drilling, stem fit, and general smoking characteristics can't be beat for pipes that were all under the $50 price point. At least that is the case based off of my experience.

labrax

Lurker
Jul 12, 2017
Central Massachusetts
This thread is a half-a-year old, but I am getting one in the mail - a 8673 bent bulldog and I have had the 8320 for a little over 3 years. The 8320 had a hard time passing a pipe cleaner and tended to smoke a little wet. Some slight modification with a small round file and a small dremel bit has fixed that. I am hoping that the new one is drilled a bit better, but for $36 it is better than some other inexpensive options out there. I find the rusticated finish and the black stain attractive on these Vittoria line of pipes

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_110255501.jpg
    IMG_20201128_110255501.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: dcon

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have a few Rossi pipes, and like them all... They are a little heavier than their Savinelli counterparts. It seems that Rossi adds an “8” in front of most of their model numbers, i.e., 8606 vs. 606, 8626 vs. 626, etc.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That 8673 should be a good pipe; I have a Sav 673, and it is an excellent size, compact enough but with a good medium chamber and nicely balanced. It's a bulldog but with the edges of the diamond shank rounded, somewhat unique. As mentioned in an earlier post, the first Rossi made by Sav and marketed in the U.S., I remember from a pipe show. The finish was a little rough, as was the stamping, but they are much more refined now and still a great buy.

Reactions: fightnhampster

B_Rock

Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
I am in the middle of a smoking my Rossi Rubino Antico 8320 and was able to pass a pipe cleaner pretty easily - but I don’t use the filter or the plastic insert. I really like the Rubino Antico line and just ordered a 8404 Zulu that weighs in at 1.3 oz. (damn Black Friday sales!) Anyway, very happy with my Rossi.

Reactions: fightnhampster
Status
Not open for further replies.