PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I mostly own Savinelli's, but purchased a Rossi a while back just to see what they were like since they were also 6mm filtered. I was disappointed with the purchase for two reasons, I couldn't pass a pipe cleaner through the stem because it was too narrow and the mortise/shank face warped out on me; other than that, is was a decent smoking pipe and obviously low priced.

Recently I've noticed that some of their pipes are shaped differently with new finishes and I guess this is a function of Savinelli getting involved in their production. The question I have is has anyone that is familiar with Rossi's older pipes bought one recently, and is the new pipe of better quality than the old?

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I can't tell you much about quality but generally, Rossis are heavier weight in comparison to similar size Savinellis
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not really asking about the quality in general, I'm asking about the quality of their older pipes (say from several years ago) relative to their new line of pipes...has that changed any.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not really asking about the quality in general, I'm asking about the quality of their older pipes (say from several years ago) relative to their new line of pipes...has that changed any.
You will get answered shortly by other members, those two Rossi I have had were of the production year 2010-2015
and in all respects were flawlessly and performed well enough but I could not tell if there were fills on the briar surface since they were dark stained)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
You will get answered shortly by other members, those two Rossi I have had were of the production year 2010-2015
and in all respects were flawlessly and performed well enough but I could not tell if there were fills on the briar surface since they were dark stained)
Yes the Rossi I bought was in 2016. Other than some fills, and the shelac coming off, it's an amazing smoker.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Yes the Rossi I bought was in 2016. Other than some fills, and the shelac coming off, it's an amazing smoker.
Hmmm, I think 2016 was still in their older production style...I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Savinelli didn't truly push for a revamp of their styles until the last year or two; in other words, it's only in the last year or so that you really start seeing the Sav influence on the Rossi design...that's why I was wondering if someone bought one before and after the last year or so. If their construction improved over what I got years ago (which admittedly could be a lemon, I don't know), then I might take a chance with them again. They have a few current designs that I really like at a good price, but would rather buy a Grabow if they are of the old quality construction.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are two "older" Rossi pipes, the ones that were made before the brand was acquired by Savinelli, and the early versions that were produced by Savinelli, with the "newer" ones being the one produced by Savinelli once they had the brand integrated into their line. I don't know the pre-sav Rossi. The first ones Sav did, modeled on their own shapes but with simpler finish, were a little rough hewn but okay smokers. The recent ones are better finished, but many series are more expensive too, as much as some Sav's. I have a prince and a Palermo yacht and find them similar to Sav's if you like the finishes and shapes offered. Some of us consider the filterless versions desirable.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
The Rossi Piccolo line is new. They are Savinelli Petite pipes that did not make the grade when sandblasted.
These are smaller pipes, perfect for a jacket pocket or a strong plug type tobacco.

Savinelli Petite 402
002-033-46393.1365.jpg

Rossi Piccolo 8402
002-577-6636.2996.jpg

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I actually cannot tell you about the old Rossi pipes. However, I have bought 10 Rossi pipes in the last 2 years and all are fine smokers. They have the Savinelli shapes and all easily pass a cleaner (which, I am not 100% particular as some in that regard). I believe them to be one of the best purchases in economical briars.

Reactions: BROBS

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I have two Rossi pipes. A Piccolo and Vittoria. Both are just fine in my book. Pretty decent value for what you pay for them.
Are they older (2+ years) and if so, do you have any issues passing pipe cleaners through them? One of the biggest issues I had with the Rossi I had (an older model) other than the fact that the mortise warped on it, was that you couldn't get a damned pipe cleaner through the bit...was really frustrating.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Are they older (2+ years) and if so, do you have any issues passing pipe cleaners through them? One of the biggest issues I had with the Rossi I had (an older model) other than the fact that the mortise warped on it, was that you couldn't get a damned pipe cleaner through the bit...was really frustrating.
I got them both a couple months ago. No problem passing a pipe cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.