New Presbyterian Danish Flake coming soon?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Smokebacca

Lurker
Aug 7, 2022
Texas
I recently came across a page (which has since been changed to a 404 Error page) at sutliffdistribution.com with a photo of a new tobacco being added to the Presbyterian line which expanded last Summer with Reformation. It is called Presbyterian Ordained and the tin art says "Danish Flake". I can't seem to find anything else about it. While the page was up, I think it said something like "taking orders now" which I believe were commercial orders, not individual purchases, and that it would be released in January 2023? I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about this?

Attachments

• Presbyterian Ordained.png
    Presbyterian Ordained.png
    263 KB · Views: 7

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I recently came across a page (which has since been changed to a 404 Error page) at sutliffdistribution.com with a photo of a new tobacco being added to the Presbyterian line which expanded last Summer with Reformation. It is called Presbyterian Ordained and the tin art says "Danish Flake". I can't seem to find anything else about it. While the page was up, I think it said something like "taking orders now" which I believe were commercial orders, not individual purchases, and that it would be released in January 2023? I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about this?
Probably another aromatic like Reformation.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Interesting I thought it was a Meme making fun of Reformation , if it's legit that would be nice as I love the OG and we need more Oriental forward blends with less Lat

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Interesting I thought it was a Meme making fun of Reformation , if it's legit that would be nice as I love the OG and we need more Oriental forward blends with less Lat
I can't taste anything in the original but latakia but if you like Orientals you can always smoke them straight.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I can't taste anything in the original but latakia but if you like Orientals you can always smoke them straight.
it might be my covid palate but all I taste is musty orientals , Ive noticed with every blend all I taste is what ever seems to dominate and with Lat blends thats all I taste and if it has a bit of Perique thats all I taste so I dunno whats going on these days , holding off all reviews till my palate makes sense again...

KruegerFlap

Might Stick Around
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I do believe it to be another addition to the line because this is the second time I've heard about it, can't remember the first source but they showed the same orange tin with the same name for the blend. I agree with Chasing Embers in the belief it will be another lack luster aromatic blend but I do hope to be proven wrong.

Reactions: vosBghos

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I do believe it to be another addition to the line because this is the second time I've heard about it, can't remember the first source but they showed the same orange tin with the same name for the blend. I agree with Chasing Embers in the belief it will be another lack luster aromatic blend but I do hope to be proven wrong.
Don't get me wrong, Reformation was amazing but it seemed like a copy of Sutliff's Mocha Slices. I've been veering away from non aros for some time now and nearly exclusively smoke straight Orientals and aromatics.

virginiapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Virginia
I checked with a retailer. Here’s what the product announcement Sutliff sent out in September said about Ordained: “Matured bright Virginia flakes deliver a bouquet of natural flavors—bread and hay with a light citrus undertone and a mild, amiable spice. This toasty, subtly sweet smoke charmingly showcases what the bright, flue-cured leaf is all about, delivered through an easy, cool burn.”

I guess we’ll see what that means.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I'd recommend L.J. Peretti's Oriental blend. Very nice, but definitely in the Balkan arena.
Been wanting to check out Orientals without or with very little Latakia so far Sutliff PS-24 has been great I have a tin of Robert McConnell Oriental to try and I've tried C&D Oriental silk but the Perique is overpowering , jarred it till I can actually taste things again , I have G.L. Pease Caravan to try , If you have any other blends to try Lemme Know.
I'm all ears and thanks for the Peretiti's tip...

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Been wanting to check out Orientals without or with very little Latakia so far Sutliff PS-24 has been great I have a tin of Robert McConnell Oriental to try and I've tried C&D Oriental silk but the Perique is overpowering , jarred it till I can actually taste things again , I have G.L. Pease Caravan to try , If you have any other blends to try Lemme Know.
Have you tried Jesses Own?
Virginia, Maryland, Turkish/Oriental, Perique and Latakia.
Both the Latakia and Perique are condiments and the Oriental leaf is obvious but does not dominate.
Mild yet very tasty.

• Love

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
@vosBghos another blend that I've only just recently tried - Balkan Sobranie Match - is another Oriental forward blend that I'd highly recommend.

Whenever I read "floral" in a description I'd think 'yuck, no thanks'.
This blend has taught me exactly what 'floral' actually means when describing an Oriental/Turkish characteristic.
It's nothing like I had imagined; it's actually a pleasant change of pace and I'll be ordering more.

Although it's described as a 'medium' blend by most reviewers [I usually stick to mild to mild-medium blends] I find it to be just right for an afternoon or evening smoke.

Reactions: Reggie and vosBghos

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just FYI: Caravan is a full-on Balkan, meaning that the latakia and orientals are both at the forefront. I happen to love this style. When the balance is right, there is an ineffable creaminess to the smoke that I’ve never found in any other style.

If you’d like to try a more oriental-leaning Balkan, I’d recommend Pease’s Charing Cross. It’s still a latakia mixture, but the orientals take more of the lead here. For a Balkan that is much heavier in latakia, I’d suggest GLP Odyssey. For me, Caravan sits neatly in the middle.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Just FYI: Caravan is a full-on Balkan, meaning that the latakia and orientals are both at the forefront. I happen to love this style. When the balance is right, there is an ineffable creaminess to the smoke that I’ve never found in any other style.

If you’d like to try a more oriental-leaning Balkan, I’d recommend Pease’s Charing Cross. It’s still a latakia mixture, but the orientals take more of the lead here. For a Balkan that is much heavier in latakia, I’d suggest GLP Odyssey. For me, Caravan sits neatly in the middle.
I would love to know the most oriental forward blend that GL Peace offers I have Cario on my list too but this is all from reading reviews that say oriental forward. What seems to be the most oriental forward blend I've tried is Presbyterian so far I'd like something like this but stronger and more robust with Burley or Darker Virginia. Thanks for the rundown. My favorite Heavy Latakia Blend so Far is SG Commonwealth might hit that Odyssey note you are talking about...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I would love to know the most oriental forward blend that GL Peace offers
I certainly haven’t tried all of the Pease blends—I’m extremely sensitive to perique, and Greg has a particular fondness for that leaf!—but, to me, Charing Cross is the most oriental-forward of the Pease Balkans.

In terms of latakia “weight,” I’d probably rank them like this, from “least” to “most” (although your mileage may vary!):

Charing Cross
Ashbury
Kensington
Caravan
Abingdon
Odyssey

I can’t think of another blender that offers so many variations on the traditional Balkan recipe as GLPease.

If you’d like strength (i.e., nicotine) in a heavy latakia blend, I’d suggest McConnell’s Latakia Flake. I’m a lightweight when it comes to nicotine, and I couldn’t make it past a couple of puffs of my first (and only) bowl.

For a strong oriental blend with very little latakia, I’d recommend Rattray’s Red Rapparee. To me, this is a couple of steps beyond Presbyterian in the oriental department.

And if I could I’d also recommend a number of the blends from the discontinued Grand Orientals series that McClelland produced. If you can find them gathering dust in the back of some shop—or on the estate market—you might really enjoy them. I believe there were six mixtures, each focused on a single oriental leaf. There were a wonderful way to figure out which orientals were sweet (Basma) and which were spicier (Drama), etc. As I recall, only one of these blends, Yenidje Highlander, also included latakia (which, technically, is still an oriental tobacco).

Last edited:

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I certainly haven’t tried all of the Pease blends—I’m extremely sensitive to perique, and Greg has a particular fondness for that leaf!—but, to me, Charing Cross is the most oriental-forward of the Pease Balkans.

In terms of latakia “weight,” I’d probably rank them like this, from “least” to “most” (although your mileage may vary!):

Charing Cross
Ashbury
Kensington
Caravan
Abingdon
Odyssey

I can’t think of another blender that offers so many variations on the traditional Balkan recipe as GLPease.

If you’d like strength (i.e., nicotine) in a heavy latakia blend, I’d suggest McConnell’s Latakia Flake. I’m a lightweight when it comes to nicotine, and I couldn’t make it past a couple of puffs of my first (and only) bowl.

For a strong oriental blend with very little latakia, I’d recommend Rattray’s Red Rapparee. To me, this is a couple of steps beyond Presbyterian in the oriental department.

And if I could I’d also recommend a number of the blends from the discontinued Grand Orientals series that McClelland produced. If you can find them gathering dust in the back of some shop—or on the estate market—you might really enjoy them. I believe there were six mixtures, each focused on a single oriental leaf. There were a wonderful way to figure out which orientals were sweet (Basma) and which were spicier (Drama), etc. As I recall, only one of these blends, Yenidje Highlander, also included latakia (which, technically, is still an oriental tobacco).
thanks so much for the thoughtful and concise reply , going to copy and paste to notes ;)

Reactions: rmbittner