PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
Greetings,
I am not certain of the protocal, but I watched a couple of others post images of recently made pipes, so I figured I would put one up also. Apologies ahead of time if I am incorrect.

Isn't for sale. It is the second of a design that some friends and I did up Sunday evening after the end of the Las Vegas show. (I will just embarass myself if I try to recite names - you know who you are.) We were talking about baccyFlaps, and figured it was time to make a portable pipe to go in a pocket with the baccyFlap.
This is the second one. The first one had fatal flaws - design and execution. This one has some so-so flaws in execution, so guess who gets to smoke it!
Pocket configuration
beforenet-499x600.jpg

Exploded configuration

explodednet-600x386.jpg

Stem detail

stemnet-600x368.jpg

Almost Ready

preassemblednet-600x363.jpg

Smokin' configuration

assemblednet-600x388.jpg

It has a second chamber. It weighs in at about 2.5 ounces. 4.5 by 1.8 inches in the stored configuration. 3 by 5 inches in the smokin' configuration. Briar and lucite.
Have been thinking of names. PocketPipe and BaccyPipe seem obviouis, The Transformer, The Egg, and Holy Handgrenade, perhaps less so. Any other ideas?
anthony
Edit: Moved to Pipe Talk. L

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I think it should be called a Nesting Pipe. It's not quite like the Russian nesting dolls but that's what it made me think of. Good design. Way to think outside the box on that :)

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Interesting design. I like it. Holy Hand Grenade definitely fits for a name.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Whatever you call it, I love it. The quality of workmanship is superb, congratulations!

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
That looks like some painstaking work there on a pretty inventive idea.
If I were going to market it ... PocketPipe or The Egg fits well. But I don't think you could lose with any of those names.
It appears you could even store a bowls worth of tobacco inside it when it's in pocket configuration.
The most worrisome part to me is the wood threads. I imagine it would be pretty easy to chip, crack or break them away on accident and make it impossible to fasten again, or make it so it's no longer airtight.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I love anything a little unusual in the pipe line, and this is certainly a novel design! Hope it smokes as well as it looks? :)

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
Morning,

The threads are pretty strong. Screwed together, the threads are normally quite safe. The one most at risk is the joint between the two halves of the briar egg when in the smokin' configuration. Under normal conditions, you would have to step on it to break it. However, this one can't be sold as I did not do an adequate job on that thread.
Like Zanthal suggests, there is a second version in the works. The bowl will have a lid to hold in tobacco when in the pocket configuration.
I intend on finding out how it smokes this evening.
anthony

nate

Might Stick Around
Dec 6, 2011
That is crazy wild Anthony! Very intriguing! Definitely would love to hear how it smokes! And I vote for Holy Hand Grenade as well :)

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
Me thinks thy must nameth it The Holy Handgrenade.

But only on the count of three.

Just cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.