PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Yes, I just started smoking late last year... so still have very much to learn. Like yourself I started out with buying a bunch of samples and having fun just working out what I like and what I don't. Any I didn't care for got jarred and I'll revisit them when I'm a little more seasoned. Although I only signed up yesterday, I've been following the forums here since I got started.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Welcome to this forum and the world of pipe smokers. You couldn't even begin to know how lucky you are. I've been smoking pipes, on and off, since I was 16 years old, back in 1966. Yep, the olden days to you. Back then, there were no computers, and very few places to find out answers to basic smoking questions regarding piping. If your dad or uncles didn't smoke a pipe, you had to figure out things for yourself. Today, you can ask questions on specialized forums, and use your computer/phones to buy tobaccos and other pipe-ish things with just a the little click. Bingo!....and it's delivered to your doorstep in a few days.
Take advantage of the all knowledge you'll get by asking questions on this forum. The guys here will help you get your head straight. Don't be shy about asking. We all did things for the first time, once.
Most of all, enjoy and savor the long learning curve. It takes a little effort to smoke a pipe. The whole ritual is fun also. Because you chose to smoke a pipe you will get many questions from friends and other guys your age. Become a great ambassador of the pipe. Aromatic blends invite curiosity by its aroma, and will please most men and women who sniff your smoke. I never met the woman who didn't like aromatic pipe smoke. Try smoking some of these blends in social occasions. Be ready to answer questions about piping.
Good luck, and have fun.
Frank

NYC

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
You have chosen a wonderful hobby religion! I recommend trying to find a local pipe club. There's a place on this forum dedicated to just that. Pipe clubs are great places to meet new people, try new blends, gawk at other people's pipes and brag about your own, and learn the subtle art of pipe smoking. Enjoy!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard. I was 18 when I first smoked a pipe, many years ago. Although one can't walk into a corner drugstore any more and find several dozen brands of pipe tobacco available, and even larger selection is available through online shopping.

Be patient. And smoke the best tobacco you can afford in the best pipes you can afford. It will increase your enjoyment of the hobby.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
We tend to 'overlook' the camaraderie factor right here on the forums.

I credit this forum with a high percentage of my first few years enjoyment of this pastime.

I've interacted with people I would never have heard of, and who have been generous with their considerations.

I hope to make it to one of the shows sometime to meet some of these folks face to face.

A pipe show is one part of 'the experience' I have yet to achieve.

Enjoy yourself, and it sounds like you've got a good idea about how to start!

I tried smoking a pipe more than once when I was young and stupid. Never got the hang of it till I retired and turned to the pipe to eliminate using papers for my roll your own tobacco.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Welcome in.

I was a cigarette smoker for 25 years. When I quit, I decided to try pipesmoking because I had an idea that it might be more interesting and more controllable. Which turned out to be true but with the twist, that even if pipesmoking is easier to control than cigarettesmoking, it still ends up taking at least as much time.

I have been piping for 9-10 months now and I am in love with it. The forum is great. Lots of knowledge for us beginners.

smittyd

Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Being that i am new to pipe smoking , I have only tried 2 tobacco's. The first being Half/Half, which was ok . But then i was given a tin of Dunhill Navy flake....and i am in love! I have read a lot about straight Virginia tobacco's, and i am looking for suggestions on other Virginia blends and also looking for advice on other types of tobacco. I know that i like the different flavors that i get When smoking non- aromatics but i am not opposed to trying aromatics as-well. However i do think i am leaning toward full flavor tobacco's. Any advice is appreciated.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Welcome! Yes, OP: Are you into flakes, coins, rope or some other specific cut?
BTW,
@chasingembers and @jpmcwjr :::> Your respective ages surprise me a bit, as I thought CE would be more my age (mid-50s) and that jpmcwjr would be in his 60s.

getysburg1

Lurker
Jan 25, 2018
Well thanks folks for all the replys and warm welcomes, folks, I appreciate it. I had a little difficulty remembering my passwords and all that to sign in so it took me a bit to get back on this thread. Well a small update on my progress into the pipe world, today I smoked two bowls, one of LL black Raspberry and one of LL 1Q. Both really good but the first bowl, black raspberry,was a little disappointing but only because cigars have so much flavor I was expecting that. But the second bowl, a few hours later, was really really tasty. Once again I really appreciate all the good wishes and advise. To answer @thomasw, I haven't tried enough yet to tell. I know that the lane 1Q packed and seemed to smoke better than the black Raspberry. Possibly just because it's a little more wet. Thanks again people, I'm glad to be a member of the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.