PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcasey

Lurker
May 12, 2015
Hi, My name is Sean.
I've been lurking for the past couple of weeks getting my feet wet and learning from you great folks on this forum.
A little about me...
I'm 45, married and my kids are now in college. I seem to have a lot of free time on my hands and decided recently to add pipe smoking to my list of hobbies.
I've never been a full-on smoker of cigarettes or cigars before. When I was in my early 20's I would occassionally have one at a party if offered. There was a short time when I was 18 that I dipped Copenhagen (Man was that a nasty habit), but I got sick of all the spitting and spit cups and more spitting.
So why did I take up the pipe might you ask?
Last month I was at our local renaissance festival with my wife and on a whim I purchased a churchwarden from a tobacco barn in the fair grounds. I like the shape of it (full bent) and quite comfortable. I have fond memories of being around my grandpa and uncle smoking pipes when I was a kid. In the 2nd grade I lived in the country in Oklahoma just down the road from my uncle. I would come over every afternoon and his wife Chizelle would give me cookies and milk. My grandpa and uncle would sit in the living room smoking cherry tobacco and I would use my knife to cut the layers upon layers of smoke in the room.
Well, the tobacco barn owner was nice enough to give me free aromatic tobaccos to try all day at the fair and a free lighter! I puffed like a mad man all day long. I got a little tongue bite at first and had plently of re-lights, but I had a freaking awesome time. I was quite surprised at the comments and compliments that I received from random strangers. What a great conversation starter!
I've always been a little odd and often the things I find interesting are apparently no longer the norm.
A primary example is that I'm a classical guitar player. You should see the looks I get when I go into a local Guitar Center. They are clueless about classical guitars and look at me with great wonder.
Apparently pipe smokers are in the same boat. I'm okay with that!
My pipes and smoking experiences so far:
Tobaccos I've tried

* Cheap Amaretto Stuff at the Fair (My wife liked the smell)

* Lane 1-Q (My favorite so far)

* Lane BCA
* I just bought some Dunhill 965 and WOW did the aroma knock me back for a minute. I might have to work up to it and I'm not sure how my wife will handle the room note. So far she has been okay with this new hobby and I would like to keep it that way :)
Pipes (I really love flea bay):

* Estate Peterson System Standard 307

* Peterson Dublin Kinsale

* Estate Barontini Bent Dublin

* Estate Kaywoodie Standard Long Stem Prince

* McQueen Churchwarden "The Tempest" (I might look like a tool smoking this thing, but I'm in my back yard so anything goes! The fair goers loved it.)
I trying to get a good mix of different pipe styles to see what I really like. I thinking about getting a Canadian in the near future or a poker.
Best Wishes,
Sean

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sean, welcome aboard. It sounds like you have a good start on pipes and tobaccos. Take it slow and easy, and enjoy it. If you get too ambitious about it, it spoils the relaxation and meditation of the activity. You've discovered some good blends, and you have some quality pipes that will last forever with a little upkeep and care. You can learn a lot recreationally reading the online sites of our sponsors. Read a lot and make purchases sparingly but with a lot of information in your mind. Keep tobacco purchases in the one or two ounce quantity, even when you really like a blend, until you learn your way around. Try mixing a couple of blends now and then, not to become a blender, but just to see what works.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Welcome to the forum Sean.

Go slow and easy as there is a learning curve to pipe smoking, ie. how to pack, drying out some tobacco's before smoking them, storing, etc. Seeing that you've started out with aromatics, as many do, jumping to Dunhill 965 can be somewhat of a jolt! Not that's it's a strong tobacco, but a far stretch from aromatics and 965 happens to be one of my favorites. As mso pointed out, spend time here and read as much as you can digest. No need to rush anything as you'll only end up chasing your own tail and make things more confusing for yourself than need be. After all, that's what pipe smoking is all about... NOT rushing. :wink:

wcasey

Lurker
May 12, 2015
Thanks for the advice. I've been reading the forum quite a bit and taking notes!
I haven't had any more tongue bite for at least a week now and getting much better at sipping and taking it slow. I look forward to sitting on my back porch after work and watching the world go by.
So far my most memorable smoke was last weekend. I sat out on the back porch one evening smoking the churchwarden and had a great time talking with my daughter and her boyfriend. It's memorable to me because I took it slow and the Virginia No 1 didn't bite me. It turned out that every sip was sweeter than the last I had a really nice stretch of time where I didn't need to relight.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
  1. You've got off on a better footing than most of us especially with what pipes you've selected and the tobaccos. It sounds like you've embraced the hobby and nothing but continued exposure and experience will give you a better edge. Welcome to the best pipe smoking forum on the web and if you remain engaged you'll learn much. There are no dumb questions here so never feel that what may not be working right for you is a singular issue, ask away. There's a few wise asses on here (myself included) but you won't find a kinder more generous group in any hobby than you will right here.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Don't be afraid to give that 965 a try. I think you'll find that pipe tobacco has a much stronger aroma than taste. The 965 smells like BBQ and a campfire, but the taste will be more subtle. It will be woody, smokey, a little bbq, a little smoke- but not so intense and the tin note.
Welcome to a wonderful hobby. Its an art....so as you understand from your guitar, you ain't just gonna pick it up and play. You'll master it over time.

wcasey

Lurker
May 12, 2015
You can say that again Tarak. I've played guitar since 1986 and I never stop learning. It just goes on and on until the day I die.

madtohkin

Lurker
Apr 29, 2015
Welcome, I'm new to the hobby as well and can honestly say the people in this forum are very helpful with questions and suggestions. Happy piping.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Welcome Sean, that's a real nice start with the pipes and tobaccos you've listed. Just remember to rest your pipes 3-5 days after smoking them to keep them fresh and run plenty of pipe cleaners them to absorb moisture and clean residue. Happy Puffing

whiterabbit

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
Welcome to the forum! You'll find a ton of really great threads and more than enough information to last you a lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.