PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I have been a long time cigar smoker and just took up pipe smoking this month. I didn't want to dump a bunch of money into a new hobby so I picked up a cheap pipe and tobacco from a local smoke shop. I ended up getting a second-hand Aldo Velani pipe along with some "Super Value Cavendish" tobacco. It wasn't great, but good enough to keep trying. I liked my first experiment with pipe smoking enough to order a new pipe (Peterson Aran) and tobacco (Lane Limited BC-A & 1Q and Newminster Blackberry Brandy).
I must say I've had a very nice night smoking the Lane mixtures and the Newminster blend. I'm still pretty new to pipe-smoking but I've had a very nice and relaxing night. I'm looking forward to trying a few new blends and picking up one or two more pipes.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome, Bernie--we're glad to have you. ,you won't go wrong with the Aldo Velani, although I might question the Cavendish. Do some experimenting, pick up a few more pipes and tobaccos, and you'll be hooked along with the rest of us.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Welcome welcome !Make sure to check into the “Beginners” section as there is more information there then just about single place on the net.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
If you're coming from the cigar world you may find the non-aromatics more to your liking. Try some English/Balkan blends, have fun and enjoy the journey! Welcome to the forums!!

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the warm welcome Ravkesef, Pipebaum81 & beefeater. I'm starting to get hooked now that I've tried a few good tobaccos and a nice pipe. I'll be sure to check out the beginners section.
Now just one more bowl of that Lane 1-Q and a glass of crown and ice before I head off to bed.
Beefeater - Ironically I'm watching Willy Wonka's chocolate factory with my daughter right now. :) I'll be sure to order a few english/balkan blends to try out.
Night all.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
If you're coming from the cigar world you may find the non-aromatics more to your liking. Try some English/Balkan blends, have fun and enjoy the journey! Welcome to the forums!!
+1 Welcome Bernie! I too came from the cigar world and quickly migrated to the English blends. So many to try and so few to dislike. Get some Latakia burning in your bowl and you won't look back. lol

dlgillen

Lurker
Dec 8, 2009
I recommend buying a few cobs, they are cheap and allow you to try different tobaccos...

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Bernie welcome, I'm fairly new here as well. This is a great forum with great people. You'll learn lots!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome Bernie. It sounds like you've made a good start. You might want to buy several bulk blends

in small quantities, one or two ounces. Non-aromatics might appeal to a recent cigar smoker, as one

of the earlier posts said. The main thing is to enjoy the journey. Don't be overwhelmed by pipe nor

tobacco purchases; all in good time. Welcome aboard.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'd like to welcome you to the wold of the pipe, but I cant. Sorry, but I'm very busy and can't take time out of my hectic day just to welcome new members to piping. I have lots to do as such is the life of a busy and powerful man. It's not because I dont want to, mind you. I wish I had the time to welcome you and ramble on about pipes, tobacco, and the rituals, but I'm a man a few words and rarely take time out of my busy schedule just to ramble endlessly about nothing. I need my chat time to be important and multi-layered, not frivolous never ending diatribes and rants about nothing in particular. Perhaps next weekend when my schedule lets up, although that hardly seems likely. Anyways, once again, I wish I had more time. C'est la vive.
:wink:

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
Welcome to the forum Bernie.

Both our resumes read pretty much the same.

I too am a cigar smoker that elevated my tastes to include pipes.
I've found there's a great bunch of friendly folks to be had around here.
Enjoy your stay,

Brad
card00678_fr.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I'm looking forward to trying a few new blends and picking up one or two more pipes
A few new blends he says.... One or two more pipes he says! :rofl:
Brother, welcome to the forum with the most enablers you've ever seen in your life! Before you know it, you'll have dozens of pounds of tobacco and about a thousand pipes... a few hundred tampers... at least 50 lighters, unless you prefer matches and then you'll have at least a million of those... a closet dedicated to pipe cleaners, a third of which will be churchwarden length pipe cleaners... an assortment of single pipe holders, a few dozen 12 pipe stands, a few 24 pipe stands, an entire wall that you've turned into a pipe stand, a room dedicated to smoking your pipes filled with pipe smoking memorabilia and black and white photos of people smoking pipes in the 1940's, pictures of Mark Twain with a pipe, Einstein with a pipe and maybe even Stalin with a pipe, not because you like him but simply because he smoked a pipe and a million other celebrities, writers, politicians, and artists who all smoked pipes and you might even end up with this on your wall...
TreasonOfImagesShadow.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
SSShhhh, he does not know about the "Sickness" Yet! Welcome victim er friend... :twisted:

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Yeah...I'm starting to feel the sickness already. I definitely enjoy the tobacco and the relaxation of smoking but I'm really finding myself admiring so many pipes that are out there.
I own a small technology consulting company and spend most of my days working on computers/networks. My free-time is spent as far away from technology as I can get. I have a small cabin up in Northern Wisconsin along with a saw mill I purchased back in 2005. I enjoy sawing logs, especially when you catch a great cut that exposes the grain just right.
The relaxation of a nice smoke while holding a beautiful chunk of carved briar in your hand is a dangerous combination for me. :)
The first pipe I picked up at a local shop was nice. The Peterson that was just delivered a few days ago is amazing. I'm already thinking about a Savinelli or a Winslow as my next purchase.
The question is how quickly can I buy my third pipe without pissing my wife off too much. I guess it is easier to ask for forgiveness...

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It occurs to me that irony and sarcasm can be difficult to convey through anonymous text. If you didn't know me and read what I wrote above you might think I'm a complete ass. While you'd be correct in your conclusion, you would've reached it along incorrect paths.

And so I sincerely welcome you to our addictions of unhealthy smoke, unhealthy spending, and a bunch o' general healthiness. :D

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
No worries iamn8. I 100% picked up on your sarcasm. Your comments literally made me laugh out loud.
In real life my main form of humor is sarcasm which is not always easy to pull off on a forum. You did a good job of making it obvious! :)
I really do appreciate all the comments from everyone. You all know how to make a new member feel welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.