PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
English (with latakia): Dunhill's Standard Mixture, Dunhill's London Mixture, GLPease's Westminster, Esoterica's Margate

Balkan Blends: McClelland's Grand Orientals: Yenidje Highlander, GLPease's Caravan

Oriental Blends: Presbyterian Mixture, Rattray's Red Rapparee, Robert McConnell's Oriental Mixture

Virginia Blends: Rattray's Old Gowrie, Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd, GLPease's Embarcadero

Virginia Flakes: Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, Rattray's Marlin Flake, Butera's Royal Vintage: Matured Flake

Virginia/Perique Blends: A&C Peterson's Escudo, GLPease's Haddo's Delight

Virginia/Burley Blends: Esoterica's Stonehaven, Solani's Aged Burley Flake, Gawith and Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake and Best Brown #2, Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake
Great list @rmbittner
I agree with some others here, try getting 1oz samplers of multiple blends to try out. There are just too many different blends and you'll get wildly differing opinions on which are good.
If you like aromatics (like the one you're smoking now) give Boswell blends a try though I personally would recommend Newminster blends, esp Danish Black and French Champagne. Inexpensive but well made and taste great.

bigc89

Lurker
Jan 30, 2013
Sorry i haven't responded guys, and thank you all for the comments. I haven't gotten around to try these tobaccos but i just started spring break so that gives me plenty of time to have a few good smokes.
Again thank you all for the advice and suggestions

ime138

Lurker
Feb 5, 2013
hey bigc! welcome, i too am a new pipe smoker, and when i get into something, i dive in headfirst, so i have about 7 pipes and have tried about 15 different tobaccos with others in the collection i have not even opened yet. ive tried aromatics and non aromatics and english. i really like margate by tilbury which made me look into the straight virginia blends. tonight i opened up gawith full virginia flake, and its amazing. light tasting, little sweet little spicy, smokes real easy, just an all around good flavor, and no tongue bite whatsoever.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
My top tip to new converts to the joys of the pipe. When starting out, keep a note book. It doesn't have to be much, but if you note the name, what is in the blend and what you think of it, you will soon see a pattern emerge. You may find that you love the taste of some types of tobacco or hate others. That way you can look out for blends that feature your favourite tobacco types.
One more point to add - As with cigars, your tastes may change as your experience grows. Just because you didn't like a tobacco the first time you tried it, doesn't mean you will always dislike it. Go back and re try some blends in 6 months time and see of your opinion has changed.

After all, the very first time you tasted cheese, you probably weren't keen on a strong blue, but many acquire a taste for it in time.
The main thing is - enjoy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.