PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
Hello All, I'm relatively new to pipe smoking and I currently have only one pipe. I'm curious as to what it is exactly and how old it is. I inherited it from my father who was a Vietnam vet and passed when I was two so I have no reference as to its details. It is a dark brown bowl with I believe a black plastic stem. Says Sir Walter Raleigh on the side from which I have seen to be a brand of tobacco so I wonder if it is a sort of promotional pipe from said brand or something else entirely. Not sure on the age of the pipe but could easily be older than myself 25+years. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
T H Dodd in England made Sir walter Raliegh pipes (Wilczak & Colwell - Who Made That Pipe?)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'd enjoy seeing a picture of your your dad's pipe. Check the forum stickies for directions on how to post pictures. Welcome to the forums!

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
Thank you, I'll certainly try to post a picture of the pipe today after I get good and awake. Not really a morning person ha.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
output_zpsazyowmro.jpg
[/URL][/img] It's got a bit of wear and tear from the years.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
Thank you, and I appreciate the warm welcome from you all. Nice to finally find a bit of sophistication on the web for once. And I'm new to the photobucket thing hence the extra characters. My apologies there.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
On a side note I'm in the process of getting a Savinelli Roma 110 so that I can semi-retire the Sir Walter Raleigh and just use it for special occasions.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
I absolutely agree with you there, I'm certainly going to make it a display piece as soon as I get another one. But I will say this, smoking this pipe has been a sort of spiritual experience in some ways. Its like being able to connect with my father through the appreciation of pipe smoking. I hope that made sense. And thank you, it's great to be here.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
@jimbo Does that book happen to say how old the pipe is? I haven't been able to turn up anything in search engines.

mrholmes

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
Oh OK cool, thanks Greg, much appreciated. It's good to have contact with nice folks like you guys. Great to be in the company of those who are knowledgeable about pipes and are all patient with young bucks like myself who are still trying to get the hang of the culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.