PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
In the beginning of my pipe journey, I thought pipes were pipes, some a little better, some not so much. I was wrong. I recently acquired a new estate pipe, my first straight billiard. Previous was big bend freehands, a bent corn cob and a Rossi 1/4 bent Author. This smallish straight billiard is a mediocre smoker, nice ebonite stem, manages to pass a pipe cleaner. But it coaxes new flavors out of the tobacco. Interesting subtle tones. It has made Haunted Bookshop taste interesting and almost fruity. It has made CS Parson’s Blend taste even better. It won’t hold a light well, and that may be where the magic lies, right on the edge of going out. Before you invest in too many tobaccos try a few different shapes figure out how you like to enjoy the tobacco.

TLDR: Try a few different pipe shapes before trying too many tobaccos.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Congratulations on your mediocre smoking wonderful pipe!

At this point in space/time I put tobacco purchases before pipes. A lot of tobaccos blends may be riding off into the sunset before the end of the year, prices and taxes are bound to rise. Ease of access to online orders is the next natural target. I would be focused on stocking up on the available blends I would not want to be without.

Pipes will be around, a great many blends may not.

I'm happy that I bought blends when I did and can enjoy some no longer produced favorites.

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
Congratulations on your mediocre smoking wonderful pipe!

At this point in space/time I put tobacco purchases before pipes. A lot of tobaccos blends may be riding off into the sunset before the end of the year, prices and taxes are bound to rise. Ease of access to online orders is the next natural target. I would be focused on stocking up on the available blends I would not want to be without.

Pipes will be around, a great many blends may not.

I'm happy that I bought blends when I did and can enjoy some no longer produced favorites.
Well I tend to agree regarding availability, maybe it opened up the range of a “good smoker” and before the other pipes were just mediocre. The search continues!

Reactions: JOHN72 and BROBS

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I was a perfect dolt when I smoked. Although I could tell that a smaller draw produced a smaller quantity of smoke, and a large draw large smoke, that's where my draw sensitivity ended. So all these guys who want to tell me how their Dunhills smoke perfectly, I must say may hap they do and may hap they don't.

But though I am a smoking cretin, I will rest more contentedly knowing that Alfred's promise made over a century ago is still coming true to the Dunhill elect.

I was a perfect dolt when I smoked. Although I could tell that a smaller draw produced a smaller quantity of smoke, and a large draw large smoke, that's where my draw sensitivity ended. So all these guys who want to tell me how their Dunhills smoke perfectly, I must say may hap they do and may hap they don't.

But though I am a smoking cretin, I will rest more contentedly knowing that Alfred's promise made over a century ago is still coming true to the Dunhill elect.

"Give a man a pipe he can smoke, Give a man a book he can read, And his home is bright with a calm delight, Though the room be poor indeed."

- Alfred Dunhill -

5 of my pipes are from the 40's - 60s
1 is a Dead root from the 70s
Only 1 is a new White Spot Grp 3 Cumberland

Mayhap my perspective may be skewed, but 'tis the truth I speak. puffy

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
"Give a man a pipe he can smoke, Give a man a book he can read, And his home is bright with a calm delight, Though the room be poor indeed."

- Alfred Dunhill -

matters is what you think.

- Alfred Dunhill -

What matters is what you think.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Where is the man’s pipe ?
After travelling 1500 miles from home and forgetting your pipes and tobacco, you arrive at the only B&M in town to find the only tobacco left on the shelf is a 15 year old tin of Prince Albert.
You instead choose to sit on their front steps and ponder whether to purchase and smoke it, or perhaps slowly freeze to death..

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I've been smoking pipes and cigars for 25 years or so. I collected some expensive pipes over the years. This may sound odd, but I discovered cobs only in the last two or three years. I just avoided them all those years. Picked up a cob on a lark and it just blew me away. I realized that pipe tobacco tastes better for me in cobs. English, vapers, va's, anything. No idea why, but it just does. I thought at first it was a fluke, but nope. It hasn't changed for me. The flavors just shine for me in cobs. I still have three or four briars, but I almost never smoke them. I sold all of my expensive briar pipes and used that money to buy more tobacco. I don't regret it one bit. So to address this thread, for me anyway, the shape or any specific feature of a pipe really didn't make a difference for me. Switching to cobs certainly did.