PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
cool, thanks. I'll give it a try. Excess dottle has always kinda bothered me, thinking "what a waste" and "there should be something more to it". lol

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Made a big mistake - in my new pipe i am breaking in i tried some tobacco with latakia now i have a strong latakia taste - used last of my deniclean to reduce it -

Dont wish to dedicate the pipe to latakia as it is a large bowl.

Since it is only 1 smoke will it dissipate during the breakin period or am i stuck with it in this pipe?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Dont wish to dedicate the pipe to latakia as it is a large bowl.
Personally, I like large bowls for latakia blends - it lets the flavors develop more. I am, however, a commited lat fan, so YMMV.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Well the latakia did not come out so i used an item called deniclean but that did not help - then did the unthinkable had no iso alcohol so did have some greek ouzo used it & then to reduce the ouzo affect ran the pipe under tepid water from tap - did get rid of the latakia but the pipe now gives quite a bite with little flavor.

So ,,, may have ruined a very good pipe that was breaking in nice before the latakia.
Will have to either continue smoking trying to get flavor back or take it to a pro to have it taken down to fresh briar in the bowl & shank.
Probably in hind site should have left it as a latakia pipe but i am not so much a fan of the stuff but the tobacco was mc clelland 3 oaks - a mild latakia at that which at least i may have lived with - oh well hard lesson learned but expensive lesson.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I wish I saw this post 6 years ago when I started. I was having the damnest time getting over that raw wood flavor, not to mention the heavy polish some of these pipes come with. Was like smoking the leg of a coffee table. But, I man-ed up and went through it. Found out for myself that 100 bowls is pretty much the standard time for any new unsmoked pipe; some more, some less.
Glad this posts now exists for any new pipe man wanting to know how far that light is at the end of the tunnel!

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Will likely send it to walker in the states - saw some posts recommending their work - i dont think a dose of 99% iso alcohol will help - i dont think anyone in canada has that ozone treatment or is as good as the walker establishment.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Get some carter hall, and even if you don't like it, smoke 5 bowls through your pipe, and it will remove the ghost, and leave a good cake over your old one. I bought a 1970's yellow bole centura yesterday for $10 unsmoked at an antique store, and after just 3 bowls of Carter Hall, already had a nice cake started. I have never seen a pipe break in so quickly. Alreay tasting good now with 6 bowls only through her. Usually takes at least 50 bowls before I like a pipe's flavour. For what it's worth, I don't bother with partial bowls to break in. I just smoke slow and keep the pipe cool, as normal. I do pack a little tight at first to keep the pipe cooler so as to not over heat and burn the wood before cake is built up.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Didnt find carter hall here in toronto - found prince albert - only its basic - burned a bit hot & gave me a sore throat as a few posts had suggested it would - hope this albert will restore the flavor.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Have done the honey thing, even heard about grape jelly (never tried that). Whatever floats your...Never had a bad experience with honey, but now I pack em & smoke em.

Status
Not open for further replies.