PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The Rosslare Royal Irish is an interesting mix with the sandblast and yellow stem. I like the combination of the two a lot. The other pipe from Peterson with an interesting color scheme to the stem is the Irish Harp. After the tankard I plan to pick up next, I'm thinking of getting an Irish Harp #80. I'm getting big into the rhodesian/bulldog style, especially the bent ones.

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
The Irish Harp has a very cool look to it. I think I'm inclined to do the same. Enjoy your 2 new Petersons while I wait for mine to get here!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My 268 Dublin is enroute from NY. Is there anything I need to do to break it in? I read on some older post on another board the bowls on some Pete's need to be cleaned with alcohol before smoking? (varnished bowls) Hopefully, my rebuilt Zippo also gets here, I want to be able to light the first bowl properly!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm pretty sure most, if not all, Peterson pipes come pre-carbonized and don't really require breaking in, but they do suggest, even on the official site, that you smoke only half a bowl for the first 5-6 smokes in a new pipe. I break them in like their website says. Some people though just load it up completely and slowly smoke it to give the bowl an even break in. I'd definitely suggest though, if you're doing that, to use a blend that always smokes to the bottom every time for you. If I did that I'd use Peterson's Sherlock Holmes blend, because for me it burns evenly and to the bottom every time.

westcoastrich

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2011
I like Peterson pipes, but not the system pipes, they are a pain in the neck to clean, and the system hole that collects the moisture will get funky very quickly you need to clean it after every smoke with a "Q" tip.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
One good thing about new Peterson pipes is that the bowl is pre-carbonized, and after just a few smokes develops a fine cake. No need to smoke up a bunch of Captain Black (white) to get that coveted polyethylene glycol cake! Just kidding. But, I have noticed on some recent new Petersons that the stem dye has leaked into the shank and often does require a thorough grain alcohol cleaning and a dozen or so pipe cleaners. Gotta love those Petersons!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My Aran 268 showed up last week (same day I picked my my first Boswell!). The Pete smokes great, I like the p-lip the more that I smoke it. I took your advice on half bowls which seemed to work great. This is definitely my travel pipe, it disappears in the bag or my pocket if necessary and is a real nice clincer. I'll have it with me today, attending a British Motorcycle event with lots of parts piles to poor through, so I'll need both hands. Thanks for the heads up on this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.