PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
+1 Nate. I remember reading their tinning machine was broken on this forum awhile ago which was why there was no special latakia flake or brown flake, are the Penzance tins the same kind as SLF? If so maybe they've just started to release tins again because they had to switch to a new machine

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
That makes sense because the SLF and former Penzance tins are identical. It will be interesting to see if SLF comes out in the same new tins as well. I was able to pick up a Stonehaven tin as well. They are the same.
20161023_130626_zpskrk9iezt.jpg
[/url][/img]

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
The Esoterica labels have always looked surprisingly shoddy for such a great line of pipe tobacco.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
There would be no problems with 8 ounce bags as they're prepackaged. What's probably happening is Germain's came up with a sensible business plan and broke down and bought a new tinning machine

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
The labels look as if they've been done on a good home style printer onto the closest fitting label size that could be found at the local office supply store.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Plus I'm not entirely clear on the status of the Esoterica line and the cutoff date, so it might be a moot point anyway.
Good point, but I believe that Germain's was producing these long before Feb 15th 2007. How much of Germain's business is wrapped up in producing the Esoterica line?
BTW,keep an eye on that Predicate date.
Snipped from a post by JimInks in another forum:
On Tuesday, the House Appropriations Committee voted in favor of an amendment to the FY 2017 Agriculture Appropriations Bill that would change the predicate date — also known as the grandfather date — for e-cigarettes, cigars and other tobacco products covered under the deeming rule from Feb. 15, 2007, as it is now proposed, to whatever date the FDA's final deeming rule goes into effect.
The bipartisan amendment, introduced by Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.) and Rep. Sanford Bishop (D-Ga.), passed the committee by a 31-19 vote.
That would move the cutoff to August 8th of this year.

Jun 27, 2016
balkisobrains

Plus I'm not entirely clear on the status of the Esoterica line and the cutoff date, so it might be a moot point anyway.
sablebrush52

Good point, but I believe that Germain's was producing these long before Feb 15th 2007. How much of Germain's business is wrapped up in producing the Esoterica line?
BTW,keep an eye on that Predicate date.
On Tuesday, the House Appropriations Committee voted in favor of an amendment to the FY 2017 Agriculture Appropriations Bill that would change the predicate date — also known as the grandfather date — for e-cigarettes, cigars and other tobacco products covered under the deeming rule from Feb. 15, 2007, as it is now proposed, to whatever date the FDA's final deeming rule goes into effect.
The bipartisan amendment, introduced by Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.) and Rep. Sanford Bishop (D-Ga.), passed the committee by a 31-19 vote.
That would move the cutoff to August 8th of this year.
Awesome info, hopefully that happens. I think that cigars might have been cleared already, but I might be wrong about that.
Packaging/labeling changes occurring after Feb 15, 2007 but prior to the 8/8/16 cutoff, to a pipe blend on sale prior to Feb 15, 2007 through to the 8/8/16 cut-off, does that matter or not matter when considering the initial date "on the market"? I feel like I knew this, but forgot. Wondering (if it matters to begin with) when the switch from Esotericas circular tins to rectangles occurred, and when the bags started to be used, and when the bag labels got changed.
I actually came back to ask exactly when Esoterica began to hit the market in these newest tins, thinking about that 8/8/16 date. If it was after, would that not cause a problem if they are not going to use the pre-"8/8/16" style rectangle tins and bags anymore?

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
I was talking with the B&M owner today. I asked him why the new Stonehaven tins. He mentioned that Germain released about 20 tins of the Stonehaven to the US market prior to the 8-8-16 date. His thought was that it was a strategic move to still sell Stonehaven due to possible complications with the distribution of the 8oz bags in the future.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That was back in April of this year and to the best of my knowledge, it went nowhere. DOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.