PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

r4wk5t4r

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2022
Oregon
Hi all. Headed to the Big Easy for a quick vacation for the first time ever. Is there a shop I cannot miss?

Bonus question: I have about a 6 hour layover in Chicago where I’ll be on foot/Uber. Where do I need to go there?

Nawlins, notice that the tallest building downtown is a jail, ha ha, so hold onto your wallet and stay in the crowd. I never go to just visit one place. For us, mostly it is just about walking around and enjoying the scenery and architecture. The shops are VERY touristy, and not really worth dropping big bucks. In the summer, everything stinks, so I usually just keep a cigar or pipe lit the entire time.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Unfortunately Ye Olde Pipe Shop in the French Quarter closed in the 90s. It was a great place where I got my first pipe. Pretty sure It's only cigar stores around town since that time.

Reactions: r4wk5t4r

swampgrizzly

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2018
South Louisiana, U.S.A.
Hi all. Headed to the Big Easy for a quick vacation for the first time ever. Is there a shop I cannot miss?

Bonus question: I have about a 6 hour layover in Chicago where I’ll be on foot/Uber. Where do I need to go there?
The best one I'm familiar with is the Mayan Import Co. with 2 locations in N.O. One is at 3000 Magazine St. in the Uptown District and the other Mayan location is at 3540 18th St. in Metairie a close suburb of N. O. Mayan Imports is where the N.O. Pipe Club meets. They are open 10 AM-8 PM 7 days a week.

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
Unfortunately Ye Olde Pipe Shop in the French Quarter closed in the 90s. It was a great place where I got my first pipe. Pretty sure It's only cigar stores around town since that time.
Great place. I also bought my first pipe there. Wonderful collection of old meerschaum pipes too.

r4wk5t4r

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2022
Oregon
Pipe centric - No.
Cigars, a number sprinkled around the French Quarter.
In Metarie (just outside the Quarter), there used to be mall pipe shop, but I think it is now closed.
Pappymac will probably reply, he lives near NOLA.
Thanks! Sounds like I'll be good to just wander and poke into whatever I come across.

r4wk5t4r

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2022
Oregon
Assuming your layover is during regular weekday business hours - if you want to leave the terminal and then go through security again, 6 hours is technically enough time to take the Blue Line (subway) from the airport to Monroe (should take about 45 minutes) and spend an hour at Iwan Reis downtown.
Actually traveling by train so I think the 6 hours in Chicago will be plenty of exploration time. I'm def. looking forward to seeing Iwan Reis in person!

r4wk5t4r

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2022
Oregon
Nawlins, notice that the tallest building downtown is a jail, ha ha, so hold onto your wallet and stay in the crowd. I never go to just visit one place. For us, mostly it is just about walking around and enjoying the scenery and architecture. The shops are VERY touristy, and not really worth dropping big bucks. In the summer, everything stinks, so I usually just keep a cigar or pipe lit the entire time.
Good to know, thank you! I don't mind any excuse to keep puffing throughout the day

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

r4wk5t4r

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2022
Oregon
No idea about pipe shops there, but my one and only visit sure gave my liver a workout!!
I expect this will be the case for me as well as a workout for my stomach. Can't wait to eat a bunch of the iconic foods being from the Pacific NW myself.

r4wk5t4r

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2022
Oregon
The best one I'm familiar with is the Mayan Import Co. with 2 locations in N.O. One is at 3000 Magazine St. in the Uptown District and the other Mayan location is at 3540 18th St. in Metairie a close suburb of N. O. Mayan Imports is where the N.O. Pipe Club meets. They are open 10 AM-8 PM 7 days a week.
Awesome thank you! I'll make sure Mayan is on my list. Appreciate it!

Reactions: swampgrizzly

r4wk5t4r

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2022
Oregon
Yep. I live right outside of New Orleans. The best place to go is Mayan Imports in Metairie, just 5-10 minutes from Downtown New Orleans. They have a smoking lounge along with pipes and tobacco.
I'll be on foot/public transport but this sounds doable. I assume at a minimum there will be those electric bikes and scooters or worst case, an uber or lyft if needed. Thank you!

r4wk5t4r

Might Stick Around
Apr 7, 2022
Oregon
Thanks everyone for the great info. Looking forward to the trip! I'll be traveling by train so I'm already counting on plenty of scenic smoke breaks at stations along the way.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I expect this will be the case for me as well as a workout for my stomach. Can't wait to eat a bunch of the iconic foods being from the Pacific NW myself.
The food is fantastic! The Pat O'Brian's Hurricanes got me............ those things are stout! I can usually hold my liquor, but whoo-boy, the heat and the drink got me!

If you need/want a place to chill and relax, the New Orleans City park is worth checking out- it's huge and has a lot of shade, benches, and cool art works. We took a streetcar up from downtown...... worthwhile IMO.........

Have fun!