PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
Kinda sorta wanted one for years, after watching Captain Slow smoking his... Finally saw one on the Interweb and picked it up. Almost unsmoked - I mean I would be surprised if more than 5 bowls were put through it. I was VERY pleasantly surprised at the smoke quality! Smokes like a dream! Very smooth and dry. Feels good and (to me) looks good too, almost a modern update to the old Doodler radiator lines. First smoke through it was a mild one; Lane Limited 1Q. Looking forward to many more. 20220609_203256 (3).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Vernon Vig shared a story with me years ago about when he was doing some work for Porsche. He said Butzi Porsche who designed the 911 and was an all day pipe smoker told him the he designed the pipe for himself. The original pipes were made in Germany by Oldenkott and later in Holland by Big Ben

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
Vernon Vig shared a story with me years ago about when he was doing some work for Porsche. He said Butzi Porsche who designed the 911 and was an all day pipe smoker told him the he designed the pipe for himself. The original pipes were made in Germany by Oldenkott and later in Holland by Big Ben
I'll tell you - the more I smoke this pipe, the more I think it's one of my best smokers. The draw is just superb. Open (but not a wind tunnel), smooth and quiet, minimal relights, not a speck of gurgle, ever. It is a chunk - not really a hanger, but boy does it smoke nice. It really was a nice surprise to see that it lives up to its luxury association. I would have bet against that, being a "beer glass almost always emptier than it should be" kind of person.

Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
@StPaulPiper, I agree with you about the quality of Porsche Design pipes. I had a 909 for awhile and the stem really impressed me. All stems should be made of this stuff—it was better than either acrylic or vulcanite. It had a bit of give, which made it more comfortable to clench than acrylic, but didn't leave teeth marks like vulcanite. The tenon also had a Teflon-like smoothness that make it a dream to take in and out. And the stem never loss its gloss.

Although it very slightly impeded the draw, I didn't mind the 9mm filter at all but I found that the protective steel layer that covered the rim, though beautifully executed, quickly became too hot to handle.