PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I have to agree with hawk60ce in regards to the cob, maybe for most it works, I've tried it and I threw them away, I only own 1 cob, and thats a Jake Hackert Cob. I've tried really hard to fall in love with cobs, but no luck...My first pipe was Italian made basic pipe for 45 bucks,
This --->Pipe Gift Sets are pretty good, if i was just getting into pipes, I would of bought one of these...You get everything you need!!
For tobacco- 1Q, Capt Black (white), Boswell's whatever you do stay away from Borkum riff..
Pipesandcigars.com has sampler packs also
I will also have to agree with cigrmaster, 65 to 85 is not bad and you really can get a great pipe for that price (most of mine are in that range)
Welcome to the insanity and enjoy!!!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
A Bjarne Viking for under 70 with all the goodies...Not bad!!!
Only if you can choose your tobacco, or get bulk tobacco in it's place...
The "Irish" are Petersons and the "Italians" are Savinellis not some "made in Italy" pipe
The European tour Set at 50 bucks is not bad at all!!

ruggierm1

Lurker
Aug 9, 2012
Can't go wrong with a cob. An inexpensive way to see if you like the hobby. I still smoke mine in regular rotation. I love em. Also, I would suggest some Captain Black White. Smells great, and not harsh on the tongue.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I was never a fan of cobs either. Cheap, soft bits, a shank that extends into the bowl so there's no way the air hole meets the bottom, and a short lifespan... sorry to be a heretic.
Personally I think nothing beats good briar.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Cobs as a starter pipe has it's advantages.

It is cheap

It will allow you to smoke lots of different blends with minimal flavor alteration from the previous blend you had in the bowl.

They give a really good representation of the blend you are smoking.

They are also easy to break in and do not require a cake.
Meerschaum pipes are also a good start but can be expensive and do break easily but they have all the advantages of a Cob.

Meerschaums are also burnout proof (very handy if you puff like mad to start with like i did)
Briar pipes take a bit more work but are well worth the effort.
I started on a cob then shifted to meerschaum now i own a few briars and i feel owning the first 2 pipe types first gave me a good understanding on what to expect flavor wise from my tobacco.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have to say this is a great topic. Very interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on cobs. I've heard so many praise them, I was surprised to hear some negative thoughts on them here. I have yet to smoke a cob (but the Ol Cajun bought me one, so I am anxious to try it - just haven't had the chance yet).
I will report back on my experience with a cob asap.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For reliability and predictability, start with a quality briar ...like Savinelli.

Bulldog Mick's tobacco suggestions (above) are real sensible. (I would suggest 1-Q for the aromatic.)

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Welcome to the world of pipe smoking and to the forum, emsflyer84.
I would just suggest that if you get a cob or two, also get at least one good briar. For me it is a completely different experience.
Whatever you get, smoke it slowly and enjoy.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Stanwell, Peterson, and Savenelli are all well-respected, not too expensive brands. But you may not want to take a pipe you dropped $75 out to "sit around a campfire with", when you have no experience with pipes. A cob is good for that - their big advantage is that they are cheap and you can knock them around.
If you have the money to do so, get the briar, and skip the cob. Maybe stick with cigars for you camping trip until you are used to smoking a pipe. And, again, if you can afford it, start with better quality tobacco. You are used to full tobacco flavors from your cigars, and probably smoke good ones. I would personally recommend, for someone in your situation, a decent English blend, like Peterson's Old Dublin or Sam Gawaith Squadron Leader.
Enjoy the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.