Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

G

Gimlet

They are removed soon after birth. Having long tails, they get all clagged up so you have to then get the dagging shears out to tidy them up.

I wonder if @Flatfish has got his wellies out yet ;)

Jay.
Up here in the Pennines most seem to be undocked. A local farmer tells me UK wool is almost worthless as the Wool Marketing Board which they have to sell to pays next to nothing for fleeces. Sheering here is a chore generating barely enough revenue to cover the cost.
Seems crazy to me. On high fell country where I live, sheep grazing is about the only livestock rearing that is possible. In fact it's essentially to maintain heather moorland and prevent it reverting to scrub. Wool. therefore is a naturally occurring, renewable and completely sustainable resource with a multitude of uses. Why on earth it is rendered worthless by politicians when sustainability is their new religion is beyond me.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
My work colleague has sheep.
She said it costs 50p per sheep to pay someone to shear them. You have to also buy a bag to hold all the fleeces. This is fairly expensive.

However you get far less than 50p when you sell them.

So it's cheaper to burn the fleece than it is to sell it for wool.

The world is stupid.

G

Gimlet

My work colleague has sheep.
She said it costs 50p per sheep to pay someone to shear them. You have to also buy a bag to hold all the fleeces. This is fairly expensive.

However you get far less than 50p when you sell them.

So it's cheaper to burn the fleece than it is to sell it for wool.

The world is stupid.
Crazy isn't it? All that potential fabric and insulation material. Completely sustainable and self-generating and it goes on a bonfire because it's not allowed to be sold on the open market for obsolete political reasons.

Reactions: edger and SBC

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Up here in the Pennines most seem to be undocked.
When I lived in the Peak District, they were rarely docked also.

And yes, the WMB has the monopoly on fleeces and set the prices. They also complain like hell if you send in mucky fleeces and that why we always docked ours here in Cornwall.

Jay.