PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Yep. At least they are going to outright ban it yet like they are planning to do in Oregon this year. The best advice is to stock up now.
I have a feeling that New Mexico will in the near future ban online sales first, then do all they can to have retail sales eliminated. I've got a decent amount put away, but will have to add to it soon.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
In my state of Washington, the tax on "other" tobacco products (such as cigars, pipe tobacco, snuff, and chewing tobacco) is 95% of the wholesale price. Let's just say I do the bulk of my buying elsewhere, and have been doing it with urgency.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The new tax is entirely aimed at vapes.

Pipe and chew and cigars and snuff remain taxed at 25% of invoice:

—-

• New Mexico House Bill 547 would significantly increase taxes on e-cigarettes and marijuana vaping products. HB 547 would impose a 31% wholesale tax on vapor products and a tax equal to 25% of the product value on other tobacco products, such as cigars, smokeless tobacco, and nicotine pouches.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
The new tax is entirely aimed at vapes.

Pipe and chew and cigars and snuff remain taxed at 25% of invoice:

—-

• New Mexico House Bill 547 would significantly increase taxes on e-cigarettes and marijuana vaping products. HB 547 would impose a 31% wholesale tax on vapor products and a tax equal to 25% of the product value on other tobacco products, such as cigars, smokeless tobacco, and nicotine pouches.
The problem is in a lot of cases it’s lazy half assed politicals that write and pass these things and usually the are so generic that man things fall under the umbrella even if no intended too.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The problem is in a lot of cases it’s lazy half assed politicals that write and pass these things and usually the are so generic that man things fall under the umbrella even if no intended too.
Very true, but this new bill blasts vapes.

Missouri has the lowest pipe tobacco tax at 10% of invoice. That means if the store pays $10 for the $15 can of tobacco the hidden tax you pay is a dollar.

In New Mexico it’s $2.50 and the little can might be $16.50. It’s not designed to punish, but raise money.

But New Mexico is going to punish vapes.

Let’s say the store pays $10 for JUUL Peppermint Strawberry Vape juice.

The new tax is $7.10.

Which means the juice will have to sell for at least $20, maybe more.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I have a feeling that New Mexico will in the near future ban online sales first, then do all they can to have retail sales eliminated. I've got a decent amount put away, but will have to add to it soon.
Whenever a state bans online sales there's always people trying to find a silver lining by insisting that at least it will help the B&Ms. Problem is the states that have such bans in place also have ridiculous sin taxes, and so many people don't live within driving distance of a B&M. Sin taxes are idiotic to begin with, if they worked than poor people wouldn't have the highest cigarette usage.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Whenever a state bans online sales there's always people trying to find a silver lining by insisting that at least it will help the B&Ms. Problem is the states that have such bans in place also have ridiculous sin taxes, and so many people don't live within driving distance of a B&M. Sin taxes are idiotic to begin with, if they worked than poor people wouldn't have the highest cigarette usage.
Its 150 miles round trip to my nearest B&M so I do a lot of online ordering. We have a vape shop here that carries "roll your own" tobacco, but I'm really not into those. Several years ago the state banned online sales of vape products so the tobacco online sales are coming next. I'll be ordering to stock up even more in the near future.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Its 150 miles round trip to my nearest B&M so I do a lot of online ordering. We have a vape shop here that carries "roll your own" tobacco, but I'm really not into those. Several years ago the state banned online sales of vape products so the tobacco online sales are coming next. I'll be ordering to stock up even more in the near future.
Wow, so if NM does ban mail order sales you're screwed. How close do you live to the state line? A lot of Washingtonians have a private PO box in Portland or Coeur D'Alene, sadly I live too far from either for me to travel often enough to get my money's worth. It pisses me off how much RYO is labeled as pipe tobacco. I hate calling up shops asking if they have pipe tobacco and they say "yes we have Gambler, Largo, Drum, and Bugler".

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
New Mexico has been run by---and financially raped by---greedy, bent politicians for a long time.

They don't even try to hide it:

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Wow, so if NM does ban mail order sales you're screwed. How close do you live to the state line? A lot of Washingtonians have a private PO box in Portland or Coeur D'Alene, sadly I live too far from either for me to travel often enough to get my money's worth. It pisses me off how much RYO is labeled as pipe tobacco. I hate calling up shops asking if they have pipe tobacco and they say "yes we have Gambler, Largo, Drum, and Bugler".
Its about a two hour drive to the Texas border. I've also called up shops I towns we are RVing through and been told they have a wide selection of pipe tobacco just to get there and find a couple pouches of sutliff aros or the RYO stuff.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Since
Its 150 miles round trip to my nearest B&M so I do a lot of online ordering. We have a vape shop here that carries "roll your own" tobacco, but I'm really not into those. Several years ago the state banned online sales of vape products so the tobacco online sales are coming next. I'll be ordering to stock up even more in the near futur
Since the vape store already stocks at least some actual tobacco products, I’m wondering how the owner would respond if you were to ask that they stock specific blends you’d actually want to buy. You might have to pass along contact info for the distributors, but maybe they’d be willing to experiment with expanding their selection.