Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2017
Hi everyone. New member here, with some questions for you all...
I started smoking pipes around 2005. I bought a lot of estate pipes on ebay, learned about refinishing them and bought some tools and materials and really enjoyed that part of it. I liked Virginias, as I had been a cigar smoker for much longer than a pipe smoker and it was similar. I joined a local club, and maybe even posted on the old newsgroup alt.smokers.pipes, which looks dead now.
I smoked for a few years but gradually I found myself smoking the pipe less and less and cigars more and more. It's been a long time since I've smoked a pipe regularly. Over the years I've tried a bowl once in a while but it just doesn't do for me what my cigars do. So now, i polished my pipes one last time, and have been returning them to ebay. I gave a couple of my favorite and some old tins to my brother for his part time hobby. But I still have a little tobacco left and also this pimo pipe tenon turning tool (apparently now Pimo is now Vermont Freehand).
I have a few questions I was hoping you could help me with- A) I have a couple glass mason jars of this Gawith and Hoggarth Kentucky tobacco to give away. Cigarette cut. One jar was baked. And a partial tin of some McBarens Virginia. Where/how is the best way to do that?
Also B) I have a sealed 10 year old Nightcap. Is this still worth anything on ebay (pre-orlick)?
And C) where is the best place to sell the Pimo tool?
If I have posted in the wrong place or am breaking any rules I apologize and will edit. Thanks in advance!
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

atilanopipes

Lurker
Mar 3, 2016
There is a FB group called Pipe Makers. Try posting the PIMO tool for sale there. Someone is bound to snatch it up.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, Mike. :clap:

I'm not a forum mod, but as to point (A), I believe you need 50 legit posts before you can make any transactions here, even if no sales are being made. So, stick around and let us become the beneficiaries of your 12 yrs. of pipe smoking experience. Who knows? You may even decide to pick up the pipe again.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Virginia being similar to cigars? I have only smoked 4-5 cigars in my life all of them being cheapos (besides one that was from Peter Heinrichs, this one was quite tasty), but I would've thunk (dark fired) Kentucky would be the closest to cigars?
IMHO, Burleys are similar to cigar leaves. Taking into account that DFK is also a burley type leaf, we both might be right.
I'm not a forum mod, but as to point (A), I believe you need 50 legit posts before you can make any transactions here, even if no sales are being made.
Cortez, mikeinbrooklyn was kind enough to PM me before posting. The moderation team decided that he can post and give away his tobacco if he wants to.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Hi Mike, welcome to the forums. The call of the dark side(i.e. pipes) is something that never goes away. Since the tobacco you have is the type that will just get better with time, you might want to consider just packing it away along with some pipes for when that dark side call reaches out to you. If your really sure I know myself and most everybody on the forum would be happy to relieve you of your tobacco.

Sep 6, 2017
Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I meant 'less different' from cigars as opposed to the fruity cased blends or heavy English Latakia blends. I liked some perique in there also. My favorite was orlick in a red tin, and some small white and blue rectangular tin, I think dunhill.
I like your advice, addamsruspipe. That's the way we think about cigars :)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm with Deniz, cigars taste nothing like the pipe tobaccos called VA. The dark, stoved pipe tobaccos ate closer, but still not close. Though pipe and cigar tobaccos are the same species, different methods of cultivation, soil and weather make them very different, not to mention curing and aging.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
B) yes the nightcap is worth money, contact pipestud and he'll help you determine a suitable price or he'll help you get your best deal in an auction as he has tons of customers that watch them

Status
Not open for further replies.