PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Title edited for specificity and caps. -jpm

G'day all. New member. My wife & I live largely off the grid in Australia at The Bullring. I have been smoking pipes, mainly Peterson's, since 1971. My original 1971 peterson system meerschaum has developed a small hole (bit larger than a pin head) in the base. It's a real bugger trying to smoke it with my thumb covering the hole. Peterson have not made them for 15 years, so I need to repair this hole - it is my favourite pipe! Any ideas? Cheers. The Rabbi

I am guessing the hole is near the bit/button (from clenching). If so, you can apply a thin coat of Vaseline to a small piece of folded paper, the exact size of the bore (air hole) and insert it so that it can be seen under the hole. Then, carefully apply a drop of super glue (Cyanoacrylate) on top of the hole. If you want a nice aesthetic you can purchase black super glue (if it is a black stem). If you want to finish it off, you may sand the glue down to match the elevation of the stem using 400 grit sand paper to do so. Finally, use 800 grit sandpaper to have the repair look fairly close to the original stem in terms of "smoothness" or finish.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I am guessing the hole is near the bit/button (from clenching). If so, you can apply a thin coat of Vaseline to a small piece of folded paper, the exact size of the bore (air hole) and insert it so that it can be seen under the hole. Then, carefully apply a drop of super glue (Cyanoacrylate) on top of the hole. If you want a nice aesthetic you can purchase black super glue (if it is a black stem). If you want to finish it off, you may sand the glue down to match the elevation of the stem using 400 grit sand paper to do so. Finally, use 800 grit sandpaper to have the repair look fairly close to the original stem in terms of "smoothness" or finish.

This may be obvious, but after glue dries (5 minutes or so) remove the folded paper with vaseline on it. By sure to clean the stem thoroughly with rubbing alcohol and pipe cleaners before smoking...

Reactions: tbradsim1