PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samjax

Lurker
Mar 4, 2018
Hello all,
Been lurking for a while and figured I ought to join up.
I do have a question regarding Peterson pipes. I'm looking at a couple of their Pipes of the Year...2010 and 2013. Both are sandblasted and look nice, at least online. I'm also looking at a Royal Irish (not the Rosslare but the bit more expensive Royal Irish line). My question; is the Pipe of the Year normally as good in regards to overall quality as the Royal Irish or is the Royal Irish looked at as an all-around better built pipe?
Many thanks for your help.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Build quality is about the same on both. The Pipe of the year however is only offered in a specific year so the overall numbers produced are usually significantly lower, making it a rarer pipe in years to come. POYs usually command better resale values for that reason. Limited Edition pipes are usually smooth while Pipe of the Year are rusticated as a rule with some exceptions.

Jan 8, 2013
I can't answer this one for certain, as I don't own a Peterson Pipe Of The Year. I can say Peterson obviously uses their higher quality briar for their higher grade pipes, and although the Pipe Of The Year are limited in number, you'll definitely find quite a few more of them than you will the Royal Irish. And as for the Rosslare Royal Irish Vs the Royal Irish, I think the prices are normally about the same, and in fact the Rosslare Royal Irish is harder to find. I spent nearly a year trying to hunt down a Rosslare Royal Irish 106 before I finally found one from an overseas seller and pounced on it. There is a big difference, sometimes a hundred dollar difference, between the Rosslare Classic and the Rosslare Royal Irish.
Edit to add: The Pipe Of The Year 2017 came in smooth, rusticated, and blasted. But only the smooth were numbered 1-500.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Anthony, You might be right however without actual production numbers we'll never know for certain but I have to disagree that a pipe produced in a single year and single style could exceed production numbers of a line of pipes offered over a number of years. It is probably true for a single year but certainly not for the duration of a production run. I have two "Limited Edition" pipes in my collection and whenever they come onto the market they bring double to a third more then even high grades of the same style. Admittedly "Limited Edition" pipes are produced in identifiable numbers but even "specialty" pipes like older St. Patrick's Day will usually bring better prices than their generic cousins. Real or imagined, the public perception of "limited" production gives the specialty pipes the edge.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've owned neither but it used to be claimed that certain higher-grade lines of Petes were essentially guaranteed to be "flaw-free" in terms of fills and neither of those lines were listed as among them. Do know some folks have found a fill or 2 in their L.E pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.