PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shawnP

Lurker
Jan 18, 2023
Hello to everyone. I wanted to join a pipe smoking forum bc I just took the hobby up and suck at it. I've always like the look of pipe smoking from the lord of the rings to the more modern sherlock movies. I've been a cigar smoker since about 2006. I've bought a pipe here and there, hated it and threw them away. Decided to try it again, currently have three pipes, a butz choquin mini churchhill estate, a french pipe I bought off ebay and a Mr. Brog. current tobacco trys are Peterson night cap, sweet killarney, peretti thanksgiving blend, mac baren old fired, Peterson university flake. think that's all for now. I cannot get the smoking down. I've read it takes time so this time around not trying to get annoyed and give up. looking forward to sharing the hobby and getting advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
just took the hobby up and suck at it.
First off. Welcome from Las Vegas

Second. Relax, everyone sucks at pipe smoking to begin with. You’ll do fine. Take your time and don’t judge your experience by a long time pipe smoker.

If you’re into instant gratification, you’ve picked the wrong hobby or whatever we call smoking a pipe these days.

Take your time, relax. You’ll get the hang of it. Oh, dry your tobacco.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Welcome from NYC. Those blends can be a bit challenging to get right. Why not start with a more forgiving blend, like Captain Black White.

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
Welcome from R.I.. You will find quite a bit of knowledge, here.

I might suggest that you not worry about proper technique as you will develop a style that works for you. Don't overthink this.

Reactions: DeerparkDays

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey from central North Carolina, and welcome aboard. Your pipes sound fine, and your blends. Take your time with it. Don't pack too tight. Mostly sip, don't puff. Dry out your tobacco a little before you pack your pipe.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
Welcome from California! Lots of good advice already given - stick with it and you'll figure it out