PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
I smoke primarily English style tobacco and occasionally mature Virginia. I just this week, un-cellared (after 10 years) a full lb each bulk Dunhill My mixture 965, Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap, Mac Baren Scottish Blend, a couple of local store English blends, a lb of mature Virginia, and several tins of Dunhill Standard Mixture. I got the Dunhills way back in about 1999, when it was still very affordable in bulk. Now that they're discontinued, it's like striking gold. I had my brother, in Tacoma WA store it for me (where it was easy to control the humidity), in January of 2000 and I just picked it up and brought it back to Phoenix.

• Wow
Reactions: morgansteele

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Welcome from Ottawa, Canda.

Just throwing this out there...did you know J. Andrew Kovacs, the carver? From Pipedia..."He lived in Jerome and Cottonwood, Arizona and is said to have moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin." I have a couple of his pipes and I've often wondered what became of him.

Love your pipes!

Reactions: Wade H

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Thank you, I've made a few of those. I only made about a dozen pipes a year while I was in the workforce, now that I'm retired, I may ramp it up a bit.

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Welcome from Ottawa, Canda.

Just throwing this out there...did you know J. Andrew Kovacs, the carver? From Pipedia..."He lived in Jerome and Cottonwood, Arizona and is said to have moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin." I have a couple of his pipes and I've often wondered what became of him.

Love your pipes!
Hello mau1, and thank you for the compliment. Andrew Kovacs was good friends with my pipe making mentor, Horace DeJarnet. I never had the pleasure of knowing him personally. I was aware that he moved away, but I never heard anything more about him after that.

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Hello and welcome from Idaho!
Your pipes are beautiful, you are a talented man my friend. Show us more! ...or give us each one, your choice! ?
Hello Idahojoe, and thank you for the compliment. I'll take some pictures and post them here. I only have 6 or 7 of my own pipes, I've either sold or given away most of them over the years. I only made about a dozen, to maybe 20 pipes a year while I was in the workforce. I gave one to each of my four brothers, and one to a brother in-law and one to a nephew. I've also given one to several of my friends. The rest were made by commission, I never built up any kind of inventory. I wanted it to remain fun, and not become like work. I retired last year, and bought a different house that doesn't have a shop. I set up temporarily in the garage, but I'm making too much dust to make that a permanent arrangement. I'm exploring options right now, to add a proper shop.

Reactions: Idahojoe

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Welcome aboard! The three pipes in your avatar are gorgeous! Are they ones you made? What are you smoking in them?

View attachment 15889
Hello Elric, I smoke primarily English style tobacco and occasionally mature Virginia. I just un-cellared a bunch of tobacco, that was in a tub for the past 10 years. In December of 1999, I put into a sealed tub, a pound each of : Dunhill My Mixture 965, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Dunhill Nightcap, Mac Baren Scottish Blend, local house blends Westminister, English Long Cut, and a Mature Virginia. I also tossed in 4 tins of Dunhill Standard Mixture. I got the Dunhills way back, in 1999, when bulk Dunhill was readily available and reasonably inexpensive. Lttle did I know that they would stop blending pipe tobacco last year, so it turned out to be a great choice to tuck some away.

I didn't mean for it to be cellared for that long, but I had my brother take it up to Washington state, when he moved there from Phoenix in 2002. I wanted to cellar it in the much lower humidity, and keep it somewhere where I couldn't get my mits on it for about 5 years. This was my first long-term tobacco aging experiment. With the Dunhills being so available, I just kept putting off having it sent down.

I had never been to see him so I went up to Washington two weeks ago and brought it back with me. After Dunhill folded, I had enough on hand to last a couple of years, but I was nervous that the tobacco would go flat. I'm thrilled to say that my first impressions of it are spectacular!

Reactions: Elric

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Hello Elric, I smoke primarily English style tobacco and occasionally mature Virginia. I just un-cellared a bunch of tobacco, that was in a tub for the past 10 years. In December of 1999, I put into a sealed tub, a pound each of : Dunhill My Mixture 965, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Dunhill Nightcap, Mac Baren Scottish Blend, local house blends Westminister, English Long Cut, and a Mature Virginia. I also tossed in 4 tins of Dunhill Standard Mixture. I got the Dunhills way back, in 1999, when bulk Dunhill was readily available and reasonably inexpensive. Lttle did I know that they would stop blending pipe tobacco last year, so it turned out to be a great choice to tuck some away.

I didn't mean for it to be cellared for that long, but I had my brother take it up to Washington state, when he moved there from Phoenix in 2002. I wanted to cellar it in the much lower humidity, and keep it somewhere where I couldn't get my mits on it for about 5 years. This was my first long-term tobacco aging experiment. With the Dunhills being so available, I just kept putting off having it sent down.

I had never been to see him so I went up to Washington two weeks ago and brought it back with me. After Dunhill folded, I had enough on hand to last a couple of years, but I was nervous that the tobacco would go flat. I'm thrilled to say that my first impressions of it are spectacular!
I forgot that I also threw an 8oz package of Penzance into that tub too. I can't wait to open that one up!

• Love
Reactions: Elric
Status
Not open for further replies.