New Member here. Hello from New Haven, CT.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mar 11, 2023
New Haven, CT
Hello smokers!
I am new to the art of pipe smoking. Actually, this is my 2nd time getting into it. The first time I was a 20 year old kid and although I really enjoyed it, I was told I looked silly smoking a pipe at that age. Now I am 49 years old and 2 things have happened. 1, I no longer look silly smoking a pipe and 2, I no longer care whether anybody thinks I do anyway.
My grandfather smoked a pipe and I remember absolutely loving the manly smell of it. Like me, he was an intellectual and I picture him always reading a book, sitting in his favorite chair smoking the Sherlock Holmes style bent pipe that he loved so much. This is what piqued my interest in pipe smoking all those years ago. Now, after a few months quitting cigarettes, I figured this might be a good time to take it back up. For now I have a cheap Dr. Grabow pipe but I am looking to upgrade. The problem is that there are so many pipe brands and some are very expensive. Can anyone recommend me a decent brand pipe? I am looking to spend around $150 and I prefer European made non-filtered pipes. I appreciate anyones input and look forward to communicating with you all.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
Welcome! One brand that fits your requirements (European made, under $150) is Peterson. While a lot of their pipes do have filters there are also quite a few that do not (you just have to read the product descriptions carefully). If you live in New Haven, CT then I'm sure you are familiar with the Owl Shop? You could probably handle many different pipes (Peterson and other brands) there in their shop and see what brands/shapes/sizes feel best in your hand. You will know when the right one "speaks" to you!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Welcome to the forum !! Peterson, Savinelli, Chacom, Genod, Vauen, --- all good. If I had to recommend a beginner bent pipe with versatility I would recommend a Savinelli 614 Dry System rusticated. It was my 2nd or 3rd pipe and I still enjoy it almost daily after 35 years and it still looks fairly new. Check out smokingpipes.eu or smokingpipes.com or any site sponsor to the left.

Mar 11, 2023
New Haven, CT
Welcome! One brand that fits your requirements (European made, under $150) is Peterson. While a lot of their pipes do have filters there are also quite a few that do not (you just have to read the product descriptions carefully). If you live in New Haven, CT then I'm sure you are familiar with the Owl Shop? You could probably handle many different pipes (Peterson and other brands) there in their shop and see what brands/shapes/sizes feel best in your hand. You will know when the right one "speaks" to you!
Yes, I am familiar with the Owl Shop. I have never been there but I know right where it is downtown. It's on my list of things to do.

Reactions: fMf Piper and MCJ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey from central North Carolina and welcome aboard. I was in New Haven years ago where we toured Yale a little. I was amazed in one of the dining halls at the World War I memorial plaques, at how many of the Yale graduates who had died were enlisted men and not officers, kind of startling after the experience during Vietnam where many of those taking the brunt were not college grads. I was an enlisted guy with a good degree, but I seldom talked about it aboard the minesweeper where I was a radioman.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I forgot Comoy !! Also before you buy check out the sub-forum threads on the brand you're interested in and you may find confirmation or additional info. Best of Luck in your pursuits. Let us know what you get and how you like it and what tobacco you are enjoying.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
Welcome from the other coast! My parents are actually just down the road from you in Litchfield. Your whole "now I'm old enough, so screw it" line was almost word for word my own experience. If you look on Ebay, you will see lots of very nice Savinelli and Chacom estate pipes for under $100. I like Peterson's, but sometimes find the asking price is more than I feel the pipe is worth to me, but to each his own.

Torrance.png

Reactions: fMf Piper
Mar 11, 2023
New Haven, CT
Hey from central North Carolina and welcome aboard. I was in New Haven years ago where we toured Yale a little. I was amazed in one of the dining halls at the World War I memorial plaques, at how many of the Yale graduates who had died were enlisted men and not officers, kind of startling after the experience during Vietnam where many of those taking the brunt were not college grads. I was an enlisted guy with a good degree, but I seldom talked about it aboard the minesweeper where I was a radioman.
Thank you for your service! It surprises me too that so Yale grads would not apply for a commission. My daughter is starting to look at colleges now. I am on the fence with this one. On the one hand I hate to deny her an education but on the other hand I am extremely weary of the political indoctrination schools today seem to be more concerned with. I just hope she picks a major that actually has value.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Welcome from Central Oregon. If I would give any advice on a new pipe I would point you to Peterson. For my system of value, they are a great pipe at a good price. For me a smaller mouth piece is highly preferable and I really find the Peterson pipes with army mounts to be exactly what I find the most comfortable.

Reactions: Hillcrest

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Welcome from the New Jersey Shore.

While I’m not a Peterson fan, I acknowledge they’re fine pipes and for $150 you will have many to select from. I personally prefer a thin tapered pipe. What you’ll find with Peterson is that they are generally a beefy, substantial pipe. Quality is good too.