PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
Where are you going to stay?. There is a good tobacconist near Las Ventas (if you come to San Isidro, maybe you are going to go there). Let me know and I will make a list of tobacconists and other places that may be of interest.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
Trouttimes, Onestrangeone, thank you very much for your welcome.

R, tobacconists in Spain are state concessions, they are called "Estancos". Prices for tobacco are established by the state and are the same in every shop. However, some of them have better assortments of pipes and pipe tobacco.

In Madrid, I can recommend these (I will provide the addresses as all of them are advertised in the shop front as Estanco):

C/ Miguel Ángel 20, Madrid.

C/ Murcia 9, Madrid.

C/ Jose del Hierro 39, Madrid.

C/ Alcala 256, Madrid

C/ Clara del Rey 40, Madrid

Plaza de Peru (I don´t remember the number, but it should be the only "Estanco" in Peru sguare.

C/ Ayala 102.

C/ Magallanes 16.

C/ Felix Boix 4.

You can look for them through Google Maps and find the one most convenient to you.

Tobacco is at a very good price for the EU. Available blends are listed in this link. It is from a Barcelona tobacconist, but the tobaccos shown there are those available right now in Spain.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Welcome to the forum! And thanks for that nice list.
I visit Madrid once or twice a year and always bring home some tobacco. I usually go to Cava de Magallanes, but the last time I was there, the pipe tobacco shelves were half empty, and selection only a fraction of what it used to be.

I hope it was only temporary or else I will try some of the shops in your list.
On another note, for anyone visiting Madrid I can also highly recommend pipe shop R. Moreu in C/ Tetuan. Good selection of briars and a shop oozing history.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I did not include Moreu because it does not sell tobacco. I have bought a few pipes there and have spent many hours chatting. Very recommended

Regarding tobacco selection, one of the distributors has filed bankrupcy. I am told that it is only a temporary issue and things will go back to normal. I intend to visit my tobacconist this week, he is well informed and receives inventory every thursday. Since he asks for everything available (at least in the non aro category) you always know what is in short supply at the distribution level.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Cachimbero,a grateful thanks for taking the time to bring this brand list to our knowledge,(last page 6 'Comisionado para el Mercado de tabacos List as of 2014) it sure is very useful, Muchas Gracias,

I see there some rarities those that are hardly seen in another continental European market, such as Condor Long & RR ,Clan Raw,G&H Brown flake Unscented and some others

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
Paul, don´t pay too much attention to the comisionado list. They leave products there for five years after production or distribution has ceased.

In this link you have the full list of tobacco products with their prices in Spain currently. You have to search for "picadura de pipa" for pipe tobacco. There are hundreds of products due to the sisha (narguile) craze.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Cachimbero, Muchas Grazias, truly very useful list to explore for any 'tobacco' tourist prior visiting Your great country, and more,I'm noticing during the recent few years they did introduce huge amounts of various Roll Your own tobaccies in Spain like anywhere else in EU

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
You are welcome Paul. RYO and sisha tobacco have taken the tobacconists by storm the last few years. Unfortunately this has brought attention over pipe tobacco, although pipes have been associated always with cigars and, for whatever the reason, I find much less hostility towards them in Spain than in some other countries. Cigars are part of our culture, everyone expects to receive a good one, even if you don´t smoke, when attending a wedding and football stadiums and bullrings smell like cigar smoke during matches and bullfights. Many people buy cigars that last two hours to attend the games without having to worry to take a second cigar. I still remember the face of a former Real Madrid president when he was told he couldn´t smoke his Montecristo A series in Old Trafford during a Champions league game. it seemed that they had told him that someone close to him had died :) A mixture of deep sadness and stoic anger.

Status
Not open for further replies.