PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
Hello all,
It seemed to be more appropriate to introduce myself in a new thread tagged with the new year, since this happens to be my first post. I technically joined before last year ended, but somehow starting something new just felt like the right thing to do. So, please don’t judge me to harshly! As it turns out, today marks the first bowl I have smoked since I was in college! (Studying philosophy, of all things!) I recently rediscovered some old pipes I had and decided after cleaning them up a bit, which only made sense to me being a hobbyist woodworker, that I should spend a little time enjoying the fruits of my labor. Which, by the way was a difficult decision, being a reformed cigarette smoker. With the Michigan heat wave we are experiencing right now (and a couple of whiskey sours) it seemed a good idea to step outside and partake after some 20 years or so of abstinence. I must however call it a night now. After spending the last 40 minutes or so in this balmy 30 degree weather, my toes are officially cold. I suppose that something warmer than Crocs, may have been a better decision. Thank you for entertaining my ramblings, perhaps my next past will exhibit a bit more wit and intelligence. I can only end by wishing all a happy and prosperous New Year!
-M.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Welcome! This is a unique group you've joined. Keep an open mind and a thick skin and you will fair well!
Cheers! Jake

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Welcome, from the upstate of SC. I spent 44 years as a native of those Michigan winters before relocating 10 years ago. I love Michigan! But happy for 65 degrees today instead of the 26 degrees they're having in my former town of Utica, MI.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
I developed a thick skin a long time ago, but thanks for the heads up.
As far as tobacco, a bit of a bulk Rum & Maple from the local B&M chain store, a tin of Irish Oak, and a tin of Guilty Pleasure. Choices seem pretty limited locally, but the chain store does have a selection of bulks to try out. Another has a small selection of tins. I have to believe there is someplace near Detroit that caters to pipe smokers. I just need to find it.
For the Michiganders here, I lived in Holland and worked in Zeeland for a while. I am from Royal Oak. I did once dated a girl from Utica. Lived Downriver for several years. Currently I am a stones throw away from Detroit, but fell in love with pipes in a pipe shop in Marquette back in the late 80’s. I wonder if it is still there....
Finally, thanks to all for the hearty welcome.
-M.

Status
Not open for further replies.