Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
b9cdd169-7213-4c03-a6f9-8be304d4d6de-431x600.jpg

d8cda951-ae1f-4345-962b-072f7a5673f9-553x600.jpg

b8b9343e-a7ec-4ed4-a40c-bb0d45f1b8b3-517x600.jpg

I just received this today. I first became aware of Max’s work through browsing the Blue Room Briars website. I contacted Max about making a pipe, gave him some design guidelines, based off of other pipes he has made, and dimensions based off of the pipes I tend to smoke the most. I let him choose the finish and stem color, of which the latter happens to remind me of Whoppers chocolate/malt candy, a positive association for me.
It’s a good medium/small size pipe. The chamber is about .74” x 1.5”, and I’d guess the weight between .80 to 1 ounce. It’s an excellent jaw hanger. I’m smoking a second bowl already and it’s just wonderful. I’m very happy and would highly recommend him to anyone interested.
Please excuse my inadequate iPhone pictures.
And yes, in case you’re wondering it is a curved-drill pipe, or bent-bore if you will.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Very nice I fulfilled a dream of a cased set and got this set from Blue Room Briars also by Max Capps.

banjo
The smooth Billiard is crosscut grained with Birdseye on the front, it also has a Redwood accent. The rusticated one is a deep plum stain and it too has a Redwood accent. They come housed in a wooden case lined with cloth and the exterior is black leather, it has an antique style clasp that has a swing lock device as well as the hinged one.
37471030566_d8177c9182_z_d.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Wowz. That first one is really different - nice work indeed!
Banjo, I love that set! Serious question, though, no joke -- isn't that a little tamer than your usuals?
Bill

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
There’s no better way to showcase great workmanship and detail then to take an old standard shape and finish it properly in both a smooth and rusticated format and both pipes smoke superbly, that’s my aim.

banjo

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Love it.

I have a blasted LC style from him that’s a solid group 5. Easily the largest pipe in my collection but I love the look and feel of it. Smokes like a charm.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That is a beauty!
Please excuse my inadequate iPhone pictures.
Holy Moly! Those are very fine photos. Better than many shot with a full frame DSLR. (It's the operator, generally, not the equipment. Kinda like pipe smoking)

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Nice set you got there, fishnbanjo.
Nice to see the positive comments about Mr. Capps.
Thanks for the photo compliment, jpmcwjr. They don’t accurately capture the stem color. It looks a touch yellow-ish/greenish in the pictures, but in person it is more as I described it previously. Perhaps the green background is influencing this misrepresentation.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I was with a friend today who was smoking one of Max's LC pipes. It's super handsome. Elegant, yet masculine. Passed a churchwarden pipecleaner with ease. I don't quite know how he drills them. I wonder if he has one of those directional drilling setups like Ser Jacopo

Status
Not open for further replies.