Status
Not open for further replies.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
what do you see when you open it up ?

just the wick there ?
i can't remember now where i saw it and can't find it but i saw a video the other day about an old - old boy that had a dual flame -
well not really dual flame but dual mode -
in the video he demonstrated that if you hold the lighter upright it issued a soft flame but if you tilt it then it heated up some tube or something - i couldn't tell - and that caused the flame to spew out more forcefully at about a 90 degree angle - yes - he said it was lighter fluid and not butane
i am pretty sure it was an old boy style

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
That's a beautiful lighter, good score. :clap: I've always loved laguiole knives; to be noted is that "laguiole" is a generic term, and several companies make laguiole knives & related merchandise--so stick with a high-quality French maker, like Thiers. The fly motif speaks of its heritage as a shepherd's tool.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Roemowood: I believe the Laguiole forgery was the first to create the long and thin locking design. Then other companies copied it. A bit like Opinel knives are now made by other companies as well, but the original Opinels are still around with the beechwood handle. I think the same applies to Laguiole. But I may be wrong on that one. Off to the world wide internet I go ;-)

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
And you are right and I am wrong ! See...one is never too old to learn. Good article at the link below. I know I got one as a kid on a family vacation with my parents. Not sure whether it was a cheap knock-off, but I do know I carried it around for all kinds of mischief as a kid. I have to see if I can find it at my mom's somewhere. And before you freak out, I grew up 8 hours from the south of France ;-) I also got my treasured Opinel on one of those trips. I still have that one.
http://www.lafermedelamer.com/Laguiole/history_of_laguiole.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.