PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth

Lurker
Feb 3, 2012
I ran across this on ebay and just had to have it. From what I can find it's from 1976-1977. One thing that threw me off though, is once the stem is tightened, the bit is crooked. I am posting a pic. It looks like maybe another 1/2" turn and it would line up perfect. Is there any way to fix this?
DSC01134.jpg

DSC01135.jpg

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Kaywoodie pipes are intentionally made with the stem not quite inline. This is to allow for wear and eventually they will be turned fully level. However the one that you show is way off center. Another method for turning the fitment is to heat the tip by placing it on an electric element, like a stove for just a few seconds to heat the aluminum and it will turn in or out with some pliers in whichever direction you need to move it. Please be careful to not overheat it though

seth

Lurker
Feb 3, 2012
Doc, would I turn it clockwise or counter, if I were facing the stinger? Clockwise?

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Seth,

I believe it has to go CCW facing the fitment. It needs more thread so it has to be unscrewed. Move it a little at a time to make sure you are going in the right direction then you can move it more to finish it. Hope this helps, let me know how it works out for you.

seth

Lurker
Feb 3, 2012
Sure will, and thanks for the info! You can't beat these forums with a stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.