PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Hey all..... I recently scored a second pipe from Artisan Pipe Maker Joe Hinkle. Joe is a vary talented pipe maker and a heck of a nice guy and he is one of those that I don't see talked about too often on here. HIs pipes are very fairly priced when new from the maker and you can also find some good values on the estate market. His pipes smoke well, they are well engineered and aesthetically pleasing but the biggest praise I have for Joe's work is he takes a great deal of time to really make a thin stem and a well constructed button. His older work is stamped Solomon pipes and now they are stamped with his name... Joe Hinkle. If you see one that speaks to you, don't hesitate to pick it up as I am confident you will not be disappointed.
Here are two pics of the recent purchase as well as a Morta prince I picked up a while back. Notice the ebonite/cumberland combo stem as well as the thin buttons on both.
20181013_124937-600x337.jpg

20181013_124620-600x337.jpg

20180511_200645-600x450.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Nice egg, with a great cotrast blast. Curious to know if the prince is your first morta and what your impressions are of morta vs briar.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Nice egg, with a great cotrast blast. Curious to know if the prince is your first morta and what your impressions are of morta vs briar.
It is my first and to this day only morta, but it will not be my last. I would say that Morta and Meerschaum tend to be more neutral where briar adds a little 'briar/wood' flavor and olive wood adds even more flavor to the smoke, but all of these differences are so minimal that I REALLY have to be paying attention to notice. I like the look of morta and there is something about knowing its thousands of years old that makes it even more special. I also like that you can smoke it back to back without needing to rest it like briar.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Here is my only Hinkle pipe, a lovat from the KC pipe show a few years back. Have yet to smoke it, but it keeps peeping at me from the rack. Soon enough!

img_2504-450x600.jpg

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
NO! SEND IT TO ME! I will break it in for you with a nice neutral tobacco like D&R Ramback(straight Turkish) or Peretti RCTR (straight Virginia) I can also put tooth marks on acrylic stems for a nominal charge.Vulcanized stem tooth marks are free. ALL JOKING ASIDE, I ordered a nice prince by Joe Hinkle TODAY from Blue Room Briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.