New Hawkwind Warrior On The Edge Of Time Box Set.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well, not quite new as it was released in 2013. The original vinyl album was released in 1975 and was when Hawkwind were really at their peak IMHO.
This triple set (two CDs and one DVD_A disc) is not just another remaster, no, it's much more than that.
Disc 1 has the entire album digitally remixed with the addition of six bonus tracks plus two previously unreleased tracks.
Disc 2 is again the whole album only this time remixed by the legendary Steven Wilson with two bonus tracks and three previously unreleased tracks.
Disc 3 is the pièce de résistance in this entire set. This is a DVD Audio disc with various surround remixes again by Steven Wilson. The entire album is presented no fewer than five time in the following formats...
MLP lossless 5.1 surround sound.
MLP lossless stereo.
DTS 96/24 5.1 surround sound.
Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound.
Original stereo master (96KHz 24 bit).
My copy only arrived yesterday so I've not had time to hear all the versions to compare them with each other but what I did listen to really blew me away! Not one of my favourite words but this set is truly awesome!
For the meagre outlay of £14:66 I would say this is the deal of the century. If you're a fan of the Hawkwind of the days afore they went all electronic then you really need to buy this set.
Disc 1.
1. Assault And Battery / The Golden Void (The Remastered Original Stereo Master Tapes)

2. The Wizard Blew His Horn (The Remastered Original Stereo Master Tapes)

3. Opa-Loka (The Remastered Original Stereo Master Tapes)

4. The Demented Man (The Remastered Original Stereo Master Tapes)

5. Magnu (The Remastered Original Stereo Master Tapes)

6. Standing At The Edge (The Remastered Original Stereo Master Tapes)

7. Spiral Galaxy 28948 (The Remastered Original Stereo Master Tapes)

8. Warriors (The Remastered Original Stereo Master Tapes)

9. Dying Seas (The Remastered Original Stereo Master Tapes)

10. Kings Of Speed (The Remastered Original Stereo Master Tapes)

11. Motorhead (Bonus Track)

12. Soldiers At The Edge Of Time (Michael Moorcock Version)

13. On The Road

14. The Wizard Blew His Horn (Nik Turner Version)

15. Spiral Galaxy 28948 (Demo)

16. Soldiers At The Edge Of Time (Nik Turner Version)

17. Motorhead (Dave Brock Vocal Version Previously Unreleased)

18. Kings Of Speed (Instrumental Version Previously Unreleased)
Disc 2.
1. Assault And Battery / The Golden Void (New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson)

2. The Wizard Blew His Horn (New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson)

3. Opa-Loka (New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson)

4. The Demented Man (New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson)

5. Magnu (New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson)

6. Standing At The Edge (New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson)

7. Spiral Galaxy 28948 (New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson)

8. Warriors (New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson)

9. Dying Seas (New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson)

10. Kings Of Speed (New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson)

11. Motorhead (Bonus Track Instrumental Demo)

12. Dawn(Bonus Track)

13. Watchfield Festival Jam (Previously Unreleased)

14. Circles (Previously Unreleased)

15. I Am The Eye (Previously Unreleased)
Disc 3.
1. Assault And Battery / The Golden Void (Surround Sound & New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson DVD)

2. The Wizard Blew His Horn (Surround Sound & New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson DVD)

3. Opa-Loka (Surround Sound & New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson DVD)

4. The Demented Man (Surround Sound & New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson DVD)

5. Magnu (Surround Sound & New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson DVD)

6. Standing At The Edge (Surround Sound & New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson DVD)

7. Spiral Galaxy 28948 (Surround Sound & New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson DVD)

8. Warriors (Surround Sound & New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson DVD)

9. Dying Seas (Surround Sound & New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson DVD)

10. Kings Of Speed (Surround Sound & New Stereo Mixes By Steven Wilson DVD)

11. Assault And Battery / The Golden Void (DVD)

12. The Wizard Blew His Horn (DVD)

13. Opa-Loka (DVD)

14. The Demented Man (DVD)

15. Magnu (DVD)

16. Standing At The Edge (DVD)

17. Spiral Galaxy 28948 (DVD)

18. Warriors (DVD)

19. Dying Seas (DVD)

20. Kings Of Speed (DVD)
Hope someone finds this useful :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That looks like hours of listening fun. For those of us who enjoy progressive rock (although in my case, primarily a metal/classical/punk/Oi listener) this is a great treat, plus you get to hear the origins of Motorhead. Always an interesting venture through history...

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Learned something new Brett when I was reading up on the box set, the track Opa-Loka which has a very heavy and distinct bass running through its entirety was actually played by Dave Brock...it appears Lemmy was 'unable to play that day'. Make of that what you will.
There are also three distinct versions of the track Motorhead buried in the set.
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Did you see the movie named Lemmy? Great insight into the man, and it very thoughtfully leaves the Hawkwind question in the air.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
That would have been a reasonable price solely for the DVD.
@deathmetal I would have never thunk I'd see someone here say they listen to Oi. :D

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Yep, I saw it twice actually. I tried to count the times he said "ya know" but lost count at 1000 :wink:
To be honest he came across to me as a bit of a big headed thicko but that said he played a fine bass, Rickenbacker if I recall though he also used a Westone Thunder bass at some point.
Saw him live with Hawkwind a few times plus with Motorhead during the 'Bomber' tour many moons ago.
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
To be honest he came across to me as a bit of a big headed thicko but that said he played a fine bass, Rickenbacker if I recall though he also used a Westone Thunder bass at some point.
Seems correct. If memory serves, Burzum also used a Westone, but a guitar!
My favorite Motorhead is the first, which is more like roadhouse/blues/heavy rock/prog than metal or punk per se. Just interesting, lonely material.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I had the album back in 1975 and had a friend burn a CD for me a few years ago. I think this is great especially for those who did not exist in the 70's

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"My favorite Motorhead is the first, which is more like roadhouse/blues/heavy rock/prog than metal or punk per se. Just interesting, lonely material."
According to Lemmy, Motorhead was all Rock and Roll. Nothing more or less. I like the fact that he turned the midrange on his bass to the max. Great sound.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jack, regards Warrior On The Edge Of Time I still have the vinyl release as with most of their output but they don't get spun so much these days.
Regards Motorhead, I only ever really liked their 'Overkill' album but the others were listenable in small measures.
"I like the fact that he turned the midrange on his bass to the max. Great sound."
Jack, I always liked the fact that he played his bass as though it was a guitar, hence his quite distinctive sound.
Regards,
Jay.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
As you know, Hawkwind's bassist did not show up one day for a gig, but left his Rickenbacker behind. Lemmy grabbed it and using a pick played the bass for the first time, and never looked back. Great story. Jimi Hendrix told him he would never be a good guitarist, but he was a great bassist and that it was accidental is too cool.
I sold most of my record collection but may still have my Hawkwind albams.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Many moons ago I bought the album 'Church Of Hawkwind'. I raced home to play it but was seriously pi$$ed off to find that side 2 was Whitesnake and not Hawkwind.
I raced back to the shop fuming and demanded a replacement which I got.
I can only wonder now how much that album would be worth now :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Trousersnake and Hawkwind sharing an LP. :crazy:

I'm writing a letter of complaint to Kerrang.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Hmm, never heard of these guys before. I liked the books though. I wonder what Moorcock thought about these guys.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bigpond, Michael Moorcock was a regular collaborator with Hawkwind and indeed appears several times on this album which was solely based upon his Eternal Champion stories.
Dave, Kerrang...wow that's a name I've not heard of in many a year. Is it still published?
Regards,
Jay.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
No idea Jay. It's been a while since I last saw it.
Did you ever come across Stacia pumping petrol in Cornwall?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Did you ever come across Stacia pumping petrol in Cornwall?"
Alas not, a bit before my time. I do however know the petrol station in Redruth where she worked.
I believe she lives somewhere in Ireland now!
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.