PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfie90

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2012
Huntington wv
So i was reading on pipepedia bout the diffrent types of tobacco, trying to find a good one for me to start with. Anyway it talked about plugs and twists of tonacco that you can smoke. But when i hear plugs and twists i think about the kind that you chew, like the pressed chewing tobacco that you see alot in old western movies. I was wanting to know are these the same thing there referring to?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
First things first: Welcome Wolfie90!
While some do "occasionally" chew pipe tobacco, the Twist/rope and plug thing refers to the end product of blending and curing.

Pipe tobacco has multiple personalities... Room Note, Tin Note, Smoke taste rarely do they ever meet.

Pipe tobacco smells one way in the pouch or tin, smells different to the passer by/audience and the smoker.

As for having a chaw.... I wouldn't recommend it... save as an experiment, just so you know never to do it again. :D
YMMV, IMHO (Your Milage May Vary, and In My Humble Opinion)

:puffy:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Actually, I know for a fact that some people buy the SG and GH ropes with the explicit intent of chewing them and I'm sure that those "plugs" they chewed in the Old West were actually based on a twist from the various seafarers.
-Jason
P.S.- I wouldn't chew them unless you like making yourself sick...

wolfie90

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2012
Huntington wv
O no i didnt mean chewing pipe tobacco. Ive seen chewing tobacco that comes as pressed little blocks called plugs or twists. I didnt know of that was what they ment if you were suppose to be able to smoke those. Although some food info and thank you so much lawrence it was driving me crazy not knowing wut ymmv or imho ment lol.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Welcome to the forum Wolfie90. This is a great place for info and creating great friendships with fellow pipe smokers.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I know that some RYO is marketed as pipe tobacco but I don't know if any marked as chewing tobacco would smoking tobacco. If you rubbed it out and gave it some dry time it might work out though. Let us know if ya try it as I'd be interested to hear the results.
And welcome!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums! :clap:

I don't use plugs or ropes and twists for smoking or anything else.

I may be missing out on something good, but my list of conventional blends to try is long enough as it is. :lol:

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
First welcome to the forums. No a plugochaw and plug or twist pipe tobacco are not the same ..same principal but, if I'm not mistaken, two different grades of baccy, that for a pipe being higher of course.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forum. I have a couple of different ropes in my cellar and they are both strong tobaccos that are difficult to smoke. They are definitely not for the beginner.

bob1

Lurker
Dec 15, 2011
Welcome Wolfie.

I'm new to the briar as well.

I would start with a good everyday aromatic. I did and haven't regretted it at all.

I have recently started trying all kinds of "drug store" type tobacco. Captain Black White is a good one.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Get yourself a nice VaPer like Escudo (coin cut) and another like Louisiana Red (ribbon cut) and see the difference. There are plug tobaccos for smoking, like GL Pease Jack Knife Plug out don't smoke plug chewing tobaccos. You won't enjoy the experience. Get an aro, like 1-Q and try a couple English blends. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and Newminster English Oriental are great starters.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Do not know if this helps or not. There are pipe tobaccos processed by being pressure clamped and cured,some are referred to as Kake tobaccos. Also some called ropes or twists. With those some have to be sliced with a small knife, pulled apart and rubbed between your palms until they are the consistency you want for the way you like to pack your pipe. Some swear by them or put up with them because the flavor seems good to them. IMO they are a pain in the #ss and not worth my time or trouble. The old chawin baccy if smoked would probably give you such a nic hit you'd be dizzy for and hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.