PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Welcome Brig!

I love trying mead, if my memory of history serves me correctly the Trappist monks turned medieval mead into more modern beer. I love the Belgian Trappist beer. I would love to hear more about your exploration of both tobacco and mead.

Knob Creek.jpg

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and Brig

Brig

Lurker
Jun 23, 2024
New England
Too bad but at least all the intricacies are intact. Is that the only thing you smoke from right now?

I don't actually smoke from it. I collect these old carved ones but the stems are often loose or broken so I'm scared to smoke from them.

I have generally smoked a Mr Brog 21 as my go-to, since I usually smoke while I'm working in the yard or out in the field and have found it a decent smoke for a cheap price or when I break them (has happened a few times). When I want to sit back and smoke with a cocktail I have a Yanik meer I've taken to the past few months, and just got a second Yanik in today that I haven't broken in yet.

I really do need to find a good quality briar that tickles my fancy to upgrade to from my Brog

Reactions: AroEnglish

Brig

Lurker
Jun 23, 2024
New England
Couldn't a new stem be made.

I just had an estimate done last week...seems stem makers want about $150 to remake these antique stems, as they were much thinner than most used today and it takes a bit of work to replicate the curvature to fit in the original case. I am contemplating it on this one, but some of my less fancy antique meers with broken stems would be hard to justify the price

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I don't actually smoke from it. I collect these old carved ones but the stems are often loose or broken so I'm scared to smoke from them.

I have generally smoked a Mr Brog 21 as my go-to, since I usually smoke while I'm working in the yard or out in the field and have found it a decent smoke for a cheap price or when I break them (has happened a few times). When I want to sit back and smoke with a cocktail I have a Yanik meer I've taken to the past few months, and just got a second Yanik in today that I haven't broken in yet.

I really do need to find a good quality briar that tickles my fancy to upgrade to from my Brog
Any pics of those other pipes?

What shapes do you like in briars?

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
I just had an estimate done last week...seems stem makers want about $150 to remake these antique stems, as they were much thinner than most used today and it takes a bit of work to replicate the curvature to fit in the original case. I am contemplating it on this one, but some of my less fancy antique meers with broken stems would be hard to justify the price
With that intricacy, the $150 might be justified.

Reactions: Brig

Brig

Lurker
Jun 23, 2024
New England
Any pics of those other pipes?

What shapes do you like in briars?

I was thinking of starting an antique carved meer "Show Your" thread in the appropriate sub forum when I get a chance to photograph some. I suspect I can't be the only one here who dabbles in them.

I am still trying to determine what shapes really call my name. I can smoke anything without complaint, but when it comes to my signature pieces I have a penchant for unique and antique styles. Just a quirk of mine. I like figural carved meerschaum a, old silver cigarette cases, and still think a long cigarette holder held by a woman wearing 3/4 length gloves is classy

Reactions: AroEnglish