PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skagit

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
It was probably bad form, but I put this on the "free pipe thread" when I should have probably started here, and then begged for free stuff. :wink: Anyway, here I am in the proper section. Hi!
I'm way new to this...started at the end of December. I got a $4 Missouri Meerschaum Ozark as an intro pipe that I wouldn't mind throwing away if I didn't like it. I still have it, and now have a user name on a pipe forum...so...ya know...you can see where this is going. I love the look of bent bulldogs and Rhodesians.
I'm all about aros at the moment...I like the H&H Berry Nice and have some OTC vanilla that's not bad...of course it could be awful, but I wouldn't know any better. I have an order of Capt. Black white, Sutliff Mulled Wine, and P&C Cinnamon Roll that should be arriving in today's mail.
This has been an interesting journey for me, as my dad and uncle both died of smoking related cancers...dad had neck cancer and uncle had lung cancer. So why should I think my fate will be any different? Here's why...
They both chain smoked cigarettes from the time they were 12 (both died between 60 and 65), and they both drank heavily for about the same duration. They lived hard lives and did so with abandon. After processing a bunch of different thoughts and feelings over the last 20 years, I have come to the realization that it was their inability to control themselves that killed them...the substances involved were just contributing factors.
I'm approaching my pipe smoking totally differently. Because I'm likely genetically predisposed to cancer, I'm limiting my smokes to once a week. I smoke on Sunday afternoon at the moment, (what a great way to wrap up a weekend), and in the summer it will probably go to Friday nights after our local sailboat races (what a great way to wrap up a week), or maybe I'll really step out and do BOTH! I'm 40 and healthy, so I've got 25+ years of healthy lifestyle under my belt that my dad and uncle never had and, frankly, would have laughed at.
So basically I guess I've done my homework and I'm trying to leverage some enjoyment out of the statistical fringe. I'm not in this to "be a smoker"...I'm in it to get some peace and enjoyment. It's nice to have made an informed decision, and to have peace with it after picking through my inner conflict.
Cheers to all...enjoy your smokes, whatever they may mean to you.
Skagit out... 8)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've never really understood those who'd deprive themselves of life's pleasures in the name of a longer life when it's life's pleasures that make life worth living. I'd rather live 65 years filled with pleasure than more years with fewer. To each their own, but I can't imagine anybody could argue even with a pipe per day. George Burns did okay. I even saw on The Today Show this morning a study showing the physical ramifications of stress. A balanced life is a good life, equal parts healthy to unhealthy, the yin and the yang. Or it's entirely possible I'm just making excuses for "bad behavior". 8O

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Welcome skagit.

I started smoking (pipes only) at 43.

I think you will enjoy it. There are so many good and very different tobaccos out there.

skagit

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
Thanks everyone. Good to be aboard. I love the pragmatic attitudes and depth of knowledge here.
Nate, I've got a quote on my wall that says "Better to live well than long", so I'm with you on that. To clarify a point, I'm not trying to avoid death...I'm trying to avoid death by cancer. My wife's grandfather died of a heart attack while he was cutting firewood. They found him leaned up against a tree looking like he was taking a nap. That's the way I want to go...boom...dead...not wasting away in a hospital bed, losing 100 lbs. and asking to die. That's cancer to me, I've seen it up close, and I make a lot of decisions in many aspects of my life to try and avoid it. Limiting my pipe usage is one of them. They may all be futile, but I'm going to try.
I'm not trying to proselytize, just relating my decision process. I've come to terms with the risks for me. We all make our choices. You can smoke like a chimney if you want, and hopefully we'll all get some good tobacco reviews out of you!
--Skagit out 8)

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Welcome Skagit, and happy smoking, lots to learn here, but take it from me, ten people on these forums will have nine different opinions, and you will get frustrated learning to smoke. We all know we're right too, just ask. 8)

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
The influence of alcohol on the course of disease is often taken lightheartedly. I am sure you will do well if you have one pipe a day and leave the alcohol. Now I am not a teatotaler but the only alcohol I touch goes through my pipes for cleaning purposes! :wink:
Welcome to the forum!

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
skagit, welcome aboard. I admire your cognitive approach to life and the pursuit of happiness. I also smoke to"...get some peace and enjoyment." I added piping to my life at an extremely stressful time and it has undoubtedly helped me find peace.
I've never really understood those who'd deprive themselves of life's pleasures in the name of a longer life when it's life's pleasures that make life worth living.
iamn8, you are the man!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Welcome, Skagit.
Informed decisions and choices, that's what its all about.
I too started many years ago with your choice of blends.
Enjoy and don't be afraid to try the many suggestions the members on the forum share with you.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Welcome to the nuthouse! As far a the big "C" I always find it slightly interesting that there has not been a "published" cure for it. Life is short enjoy it. I just read a article that stated that the chemicals in antiperspirant cause many forms of healh issues. So I use straight deodorant and offset my tobacco.

bruce74

Lurker
Jan 29, 2015
A little something that may help in light of the family genetic history...
http://www.sciencealert.com/green-tea-compound-found-to-kill-oral-cancer-cells

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
skagit, welcome aboard. It sounds like you are taking a reasonable approach. All things in moderation.

This is a good place to figure out how to get the most out of a circumspect amount of pipe smoking.

You'll find that there's some inclination toward non-aromatics among Forums members at large, but

a number smoke only aromatics, or like me, enjoy them as a change of pace. You'll notice as you survey

tobacco retail sites that aromatics somewhat predominate in the marketplace. Have fun and stick to your

own rules and moderation.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Welcome, Skagit. We're glad you're here and, I'm sure, we all hope that someday you can pull out a burner and enjoy a Wednesday smoke as well.
I do understand your personal concerns, your family's medical history and I respect your reasoning deeply. But I've helped bury too many friends and family members who never had the pleasure of driving a car, make love to a woman, knock back a cocktail, get married, watch their kids - much less grandkids - graduate from high school or even college. They died tragically young. But, let's don't even go to the elderly who died drooling into a bath towel roped around their necks, wheelchair sitting in a damned nursing home or Dementia/AZ unit.
Enjoy your life, pard. None of us are checking out alive. But how you you to choose to live it is the only thing that matters.
Fnord

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
I like your attitude, man. Glad to hear you can enjoy something innocent for the sheer pleasure of it and not just because you need it to feel normal.
These are good folks here, and you'll learn a lot from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.