PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheIdahoan

Lurker
Jan 7, 2023
Southeast Idaho
Welcome from California!

Whereabouts? I was born in Oakland. Spend 18 years in that area before jumping ship.

Well, howdy from Boise, Idaho. Welcome to the forum!
So, whereabouts in Southeast Idaho do you hail from?
Idaho Falls area, but lived in Caldwell for many years.

Welcome to the forum, from Southern California. Looks like you've got a nice little assortment there to enjoy. EMP is probably my favorite of those.

Enjoy the journey!

Unfortunately EMP was a tin I opened to smell before I put it away so 4 years later it's quite dry. It cracks if you handle it, becoming tobacco powder. I'm trying to rehab it with a 69% Boveda pack before I smoke any more, but it's slow going...

TheIdahoan

Lurker
Jan 7, 2023
Southeast Idaho
@Fralphog alphog Do you buy tins locally? Where do you go, Sturman's? I was in Boise New Year's weekend, but didn't have enough time to be able to go and check it out. Have you been? What'd you think of it?

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
@Fralphog alphog Do you buy tins locally? Where do you go, Sturman's? I was in Boise New Year's weekend, but didn't have enough time to be able to go and check it out. Have you been? What'd you think of it?
I have bought tins at Sturman’s’; it is really the only place in Boise area to buy quality tins of baccy. He also carries a big selection of bulk sold in 2 once zip lock bags. All the baccy is in a walk in humidor. Not sure where or what “brand” he brings in for his bulk. I’ve bought a few over the years but don’t really care for it.
His stock of good tinned baccy is always meager at best. I was in there a week ago and he had 4 different GLP blends and one C&D. None of which I like. As much as I would love to support local brick and mortar business, his prices are really quite exorbitant. Last year I went in there and bought a can of C &D We Three Kings for $19. His main focus is cigars. Wonderful cigar selection.
I’ve turned to buying online from SmokingPipes predominately,but also from others like Country Squire, Ken Byron Ventures and CupOJoes. I’ve picked up some great baccy from forum members too.
When I hear of people stopping by there a brick and mortar tobacco stores and buying tins and visiting with the store owners, I remember my wonderful visits to Boswell pipes and tobacco in Pennsylvania when I was stationed on the East Coast.
I wish I had better news for you.
If you’re headed back towards Boise, let me know we could meet at Sturman’s’ Cigar Bar in Garden City and share some fine baccy! I’m retired so my schedule is easy to work around.
Glad you joined the forum- take care.

Reactions: TheIdahoan

TheIdahoan

Lurker
Jan 7, 2023
Southeast Idaho
I have bought tins at Sturman’s’; it is really the only place in Boise area to buy quality tins of baccy. He also carries a big selection of bulk sold in 2 once zip lock bags. All the baccy is in a walk in humidor. Not sure where or what “brand” he brings in for his bulk. I’ve bought a few over the years but don’t really care for it.
His stock of good tinned baccy is always meager at best. I was in there a week ago and he had 4 different GLP blends and one C&D. None of which I like. As much as I would love to support local brick and mortar business, his prices are really quite exorbitant. Last year I went in there and bought a can of C &D We Three Kings for $19. His main focus is cigars. Wonderful cigar selection.
I’ve turned to buying online from SmokingPipes predominately,but also from others like Country Squire, Ken Byron Ventures and CupOJoes. I’ve picked up some great baccy from forum members too.
When I hear of people stopping by there a brick and mortar tobacco stores and buying tins and visiting with the store owners, I remember my wonderful visits to Boswell pipes and tobacco in Pennsylvania when I was stationed on the East Coast.
I wish I had better news for you.
If you’re headed back towards Boise, let me know we could meet at Sturman’s’ Cigar Bar in Garden City and share some fine baccy! I’m retired so my schedule is easy to work around.
Glad you joined the forum- take care.
Disappointing to hear about Sturman's. Over here in Idaho Falls, we don't have any "boutique" shops, just Tobacco Connection. There's a cigar shop over in Jackson, WY I'll check out when the weather gets better. I'll let you know how it is.

A bummer that Sturman's isn't awesome, but it makes sense. Besides one fella at a shooting class, I've not met anyone who smokes pipe tobacco. Folks mostly use cigarettes or vapes these days.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Unfortunately EMP was a tin I opened to smell before I put it away so 4 years later it's quite dry. It cracks if you handle it, becoming tobacco powder. I'm trying to rehab it with a 69% Boveda pack before I smoke any more, but it's slow going...
You may wish to consult the "sticky" thread in the Pipe Tobacco Discussion section on Rehydration methods. Just to add my two cents...I have had success using 9mm charcoal filters soaked in distilled water, which I put in a mason jar w/the tobacco. I use two or three per 2 oz. of leaf, and replace them with new soaked ones as the previous ones dry out. I've never tried the Boveda pack strategy, but whatever works best, I'd stick with it.

Reactions: TheIdahoan