PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Pease hasn't branched out from his beloved latakia as much as we might wish, but when he has, it's usually been pretty good.

A plug red VaOr w/basma is attractive. VaOrs haven't been much of a thing since McC.
Precisely and I've gotten to the point where I often prefer some oriental with my Virginia than just straight Virginia.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
Virginia & Oriental mixtures have been a thing for decades, notably with McConnell, Rattray's, Dunhill, HU Tobacco, SG and others.
It's nothing new.

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
Of course, nothing is ever new. I just can't find many unsauced VOs that are just Virginia and oriental (btw, what McConnell, what Rattrays?) Dunhill is long gone as are many others. Embarcadero is nice, in fact, I found a long forgotten tin today.
Thousands of Virginias and latakia blends, but C&D comes out with a new limited edition monthly. I welcome all newcomers.

Reactions: fireground_piper

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I’m definitely looking forward to this one. Some of my favorite VaOr’s are Watch City Simply VOriental and KBV BasMatica, it’s just a perfect combination.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Normally I’m a huge fan of reds. When blended with Orientals is where I actually prefer lighter Virginias as they tend not to overshadow the nuances of the Orientals as much.

Greg can pull off the balancing act. I await some reviews to see if I need to buy more tobacco I don’t need.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Normally I’m a huge fan of reds. When blended with Orientals is where I actually prefer lighter Virginias as they tend not to overshadow the nuances of the Orientals as much.

Greg can pull off the balancing act. I await some reviews to see if I need to buy more tobacco I don’t need.

This is where I’m at, too. Mainly because I love reading the reviews from new, hyped up blends. People are off their rockers and it’s entertaining.