PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2021
South Carolina
Hello all! I just started smoking a pipe about a week ago. My great-grandfather smoked a pipe, and when he passed away I was given an old corncob pipe of his. I was 8 then and still have it at age 36. I've wanted to take up the hobby for years and finally did. I've always liked the classy look of briar pipes, but after some research it only made sense to start with a more affordable corncob until I get the hang of things. So I ordered a MM Washington and a few tobaccos and away I went! Had the best smoke yesterday when I was finally able to get a decent pack and kept the bowl lit throughout. I must say, I love everything about it--the pipe itself is a fascinating thing, the art of curing tobacco, the smell, the taste, the contemplative act--I'm thoroughly enjoying it. This forum has been extremely helpful so I figured I'd join. Look forward to the conversation!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know where in S.C. you are, but you might want to make a pilgrimage to Smoking Pipes, one of Forums' sponsors, outside of Myrtle Beach, and also one of the best online retailers. I've never been to the place itself, but have done a lot of business with them online. Welcome from central N.C. I especially like the MM special edition cobs; they cost about $28, but have durable acrylic stems.

Aug 6, 2021
South Carolina
I don't know where in S.C. you are, but you might want to make a pilgrimage to Smoking Pipes, one of Forums' sponsors, outside of Myrtle Beach, and also one of the best online retailers. I've never been to the place itself, but have done a lot of business with them online. Welcome from central N.C. I especially like the MM special edition cobs; they cost about $28, but have durable acrylic stems.
I am in the upstate/Greenville area. I'll have to check it out next time I head to the beach!

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Boda Pipes is in Greenville SC. Check them out. I've been there and they have a great collection of pipes & tobacco. I bought my Savinelli Oscar Lucite from them and my son has bought me 3 Savinelli III Unfinished pipes from them. Their customer service is great, their very friendly and very knowledgeable concerning pipes & tobacco. They also have pipe club meetings.
Boda Pipes and Cigar Lounge

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Welcome from Central FL. Many generations of my family were from SC. A lot of them made their way to NC, where I was raised.
Sounds like you’re off to a great start. Glad you’re here.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Well this could be hard for you as pipe smoking, unlike cigaratte and cigar, is a true learned skill. Pack lightly and smoke slowly. I think you will find inhaling not to be a good practice.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello all! I just started smoking a pipe about a week ago. My great-grandfather smoked a pipe, and when he passed away I was given an old corncob pipe of his. I was 8 then and still have it at age 36. I've wanted to take up the hobby for years and finally did. I've always liked the classy look of briar pipes, but after some research it only made sense to start with a more affordable corncob until I get the hang of things. So I ordered a MM Washington and a few tobaccos and away I went! Had the best smoke yesterday when I was finally able to get a decent pack and kept the bowl lit throughout. I must say, I love everything about it--the pipe itself is a fascinating thing, the art of curing tobacco, the smell, the taste, the contemplative act--I'm thoroughly enjoying it. This forum has been extremely helpful so I figured I'd join. Look forward to the conversation!
Welcome to the forum!

Your intro story is very similar to quite a few guys on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.