PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Looks like I made a new friend.

All kinds of people smoke pipes and I wouldn't ordinarily pick them all for friends, but it's amazing how a pipe can bring otherwise dissimilar people into an instant friendship.
Welcome to the forum, dervis. I'm sure you will make a few more friends here.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I posted this with some curiosity. Are these guys/gals really this nice , or do I just read posts where everyone is in a good mood? Well the question has been answered and thanks to everyone. This site really does come across as a community. As someone who is on the net reading junk for 10plus hours a day , this really is a breath of fresh air. Or rather as refreshing as a good sip of a pipe.
Dear Mr. Dervis,
Let me first start off by saying you are too kind. If you have only read a few hundred posts then you missed the ones where the forums engage in 24/hour civil wars! Keep digging through the archives because most of those threads are still there. Just look for anything that is [CLOSED] besides the "What are you smoking (month)" threads.
They are some of the (at first glance) funniest meanderings of all time.
Happy Smoking. And remember; Pipe smokers are angry too... sometimes. Never during a pipe though. :puffy:

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
Great story Dervis, and welcome :)
Here in Indonesia, we had multiple ox expat bosses. The key to get into Korean people, business and culture is through drinks and their foods.
So, next order of the business is to invite him over a meal (preferably korean ones), hard-liquor (soju) while having a puff or two.
Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Yes good story! Obviously I enjoy pipe tobacco and all. I also find Korean food and culture fascinating! Some of the food is brilliant, some of it is a challenge for even me. Careful if you go out drinking with the boss. Soju can sneak up on your ass! Bring money for a cab bro. :wink:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I lived in Korea for a yer and most people smoked the local brand of cigs "88"s . I na=ever saw a pipe smoker either. I made Korean friends by bumming them my Camel cigs, which they really liked.
Here's a site on Korean etiquette. It's even got a section on business.
http://www.culturecrossing.net/basics_business_student.php?id=110

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
Being able to connect over a pipe is something special indeed. Welcome to the forum and keep the great stories coming.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Don't forget to reply-in-kind to the gift of tobacco! He introduced you to something new, now it is your turn.
And, unless your boss is North Korean, he won't be shooting any Mosin nagants, which were a gift of the Russians and Chinese.
He might, however, be familiar with a Daewoo K-2, which is as fine a weapon as one can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.