PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Picked this up yesterday at my local B&M... A Ben Wade Intermezzo *B*, not for certain but I think Preben Holm era (My first Ben Wade). The pipe had been very gently smoked, and the stem had some minor chatter only that micro mesh buffed off nicely. It had been on consignment for several weeks, and I picked it up for $76.00... After buffing the stem, sanitizing it, and polishing the stummel it looks great. Well, on to the pics...
2gx30pl.jpg

2e0sj0m.jpg

b5jyvc.jpg

ih2uli.jpg

Thinking of breaking it in with either 1Q, or Golden Dansk... But haven't decided as of yet..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not normally a free-hand guy, but that is one handsome pipe! Nice work on the restoration too. I love the details on the stem and plateau features.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Thanks Al, I love freehands, and the plateau and carved rim is what drew me to the pipe.. There is a old Bjarne freehand with matching briar ebauchon pipe rest/base and tamper sitting in the case as well, just don't have the cash the seller is asking at this time..

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Great find! That is a Holm era pipe. It is getting harder and harder to find pristine stem/crown combinations on his pipes as most are approaching 40 years old now. These are typical of the Danish Ben Wades and all had generous bowls. They feel great in the hand and will smoke a variety of blends well. It'll be interesting to find a blend that makes your pipe "sing".
Congratulations and I'm betting this won't be your last Ben Wade. :wink:

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Thanks for the comments everyone.... @mlaug, thanks for confirming my thoughts on its era and age.. Now if I could only find a Dunhill near this condition and price I would truelly be happy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.