PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I was pretty excited when I found out that I won the bid for $26.50 (with shipping) on this vintage Meerschaum Cutty pipe! It was advertised as a solid block meerschaum from Austria- 5 1/2 “ long with a 2 “ tall bowl.
It arrived in the mail today. I took it out and carefully examined my new meerschaum pipe. It seemed fairly clean and the stem was in amazingly good shape. No teeth marks or chatter, a nice nickel maybe Sterling band on the stumble And some coloring and patina. I was thinking, “I scored a great little pipe here”.
I decided to clean it up after dinner. The first thing that became evident was that the stem was not coming off. I have a fairly strong grip, and I could not get this stem to budge either by twisting it or trying to pull it straight back. Once I gave up on this, worrying that I might break the pipe all together, I got a pipe cleaner and tried to pass it through the stem. I could not get a pipe cleaner to go through the stem, so I tried to blow some air through the pipe. It was clearly plugged up.
Interestingly enough the coloring on the stummel seen as a dark 3/8 inch ring of coloring is exactly where the pipe cleaner stopped.
I had to sit down and think this one over. I finally decided to get a large heavy gauge paperclip and straighten it out. I took the pipe to the sink and ran some hot water down into the bowl and stem while gently pushing the paperclip straight forward. It took several attempts, but I finally broke through the blockage. After that, I got a scrub brush I use for cleaning pipes and began to scrub out the stem and stummel while running hot water through it.
it was amazing the amount of black gunk and old particles of tobacco that came out of that pipe. It took quite a while to get it cleaned, but in the end it’s ready to smoke!
I’m still frustrated about not being able to get the stem off. I definitely don’t wanna break the pipe just to get the stem off. I’m wondering if I should just enjoy the pipe and give it a good hot water flush every 4-5 months depending on how much I smoke it.
I’ve never had a pipe with an Amber Stem. I can’t really tell if this is Amber or acrylic. And I can’t really make a guess on the date of this pipe? Might have to enlist the help of @condorlover1 or @ashdigger .
459547FF-76EA-4585-8958-A956D9F79955.jpeg
FEEEEDEA-3131-45DE-B28B-89ED2C4C3BCE.jpeg7ED5C5C6-1334-4C3A-B2E0-816E22C7709E.jpegE8EFC608-85DB-4089-9469-178B12EB4101.jpegB0D61C0F-3986-4129-9510-FDA33DF36CCE.jpeg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Very nice!! Doesn’t look like acrylic.

I’d first run pipe cleaners that had hot water on them through the stem. Overview and over. I’d let it soak overnight with that wetted pipe cleaner in it.

The single most important pipe cleaners for Meers and old pipes are Falcons.

They are thin and stiff.

Okay, if it was my pipe and only if it was my pipe, I’d skip the hot water and go straight to alcohol. Alcohol cuts the tar better.

Having said that, if you try my method and your pipe goes to shit, hit me up, I’ll send it’s replacement.

It’s important to understand I’m a complete idiot and pipes are functional tool that my gorilla like hands abuse.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Hi!
Thanks for reply.
I was definitely thinking about using some Everclear on a pipe cleaner, but wanted to see what hot water could accomplish. Now that I’ve got the blockage removed, I’ll use some nylon bristle pipe cleaners and a little bit of alcohol and do some more cleaning.
Then leave a wet pipe cleaner in there as you mentioned.
I’m really hesitant to use any type of mechanical advantage to loosen the stem like - Putting it in a vise with some padding?
I need to order some Falcon pipe cleaners for sure.
When I first got the pipe and took a smell of the bowl, it totally reminded me of Velvet tobacco and I thought about you and your tobacco smoking comparison. Even after cleaning it quite well, he still has that subtle sweet topping note that is on Velvet tobacco. Might have to smoke some 1928ish Velvet in this bad boy first smoke ?.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Looks more dublin than cutty and as far as amber, rub it through your hair to see if it builds up static. If it does, it's amber. Lovely addition!
More Dublin-esk then Cutty? Is it the bowl shape or angle of cant that defines? I found and bid on this pipe while ordering a Cutty Meer pipe by Ramazan as recommended by @condorlover1 .
This pipe will be here next week. ?
E68FE88B-6B9B-4F0B-9E07-215B2E820E65.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
More Dublin-esk then Cutty? Is it the bowl shape or angle of cant that defines? I found and bid on this pipe while ordering a Cutty Meer pipe by Ramazan as recommended by @condorlover1 .
This pipe will be here next week. ?
View attachment 154464
That one's a dublin as well. It's not the cant, it's the shape of the bowl and inclusion of the spur.

004-008-6218.2757.jpg

If you've got a Cutty bowl shape without the spur then it's a belge.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I really wanted to smoke this new pipe. So I smoked it last night before I went to bed and this morning again. After I smoked it this morning, I decided I would readdress some cleaning with some nylon bristled pipe cleaners, a small nylon scrub brush and a little bit of alcohol to break up the tar.
Actually, I was surprised at how much more gunk came out of the pipe during this cleaning process. I would dip the pipe cleaners in the alcohol give it a good scrub and then immediately rinse it with hot water at the sink. I continue with this process until the runoff from the rinse was fairly clear.
The pipe smoked well the two times I smoked it. I plan on smoking it again later today. I’m losing interest in removing the stem. Mostly because I don’t want to break the pipe. It’s a wonderful smoking pipe with a small bowl which provides about a 30 to 40 minute smoke.
Trying to decide if I’m going to dedicate this pipe to a particular type of tobacco? ?

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Good job!

Whatever your favorite is that’s the smoke for it.

Meers don’t ghost like briar, keep ‘em clean and always keep an eye on cake.
offsubject, but for the record-
I thoroughly enjoyed your post earlier today about those with 10 fingers over the weekend.
One of my least favorite activities here in the local Boise area is fireworks during the Fourth of July. What really irks me is there is a local ordinance against fireworks that leave the ground but the local police force has no cojones to enforce it.
When I first got home from Iraq it was more of a nerves issue. Now it’s just a complete annoyance. I am a full on patriot- 38 years Army. I just don’t have an appreciation for unskilled, often inebriated, local homeowners launching burning projectiles into the air. Often into the wee hours of the morning.
In your line of work I’m sure you see the outcome of this careless and haphazard employment of ”fireworks”.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
offsubject, but for the record-
I thoroughly enjoyed your post earlier today about those with 10 fingers over the weekend.
One of my least favorite activities here in the local Boise area is fireworks during the Fourth of July. What really irks me is there is a local ordinance against fireworks that leave the ground but the local police force has no cojones to enforce it.
When I first got home from Iraq it was more of a nerves issue. Now it’s just a complete annoyance. I am a full on patriot- 38 years Army. I just don’t have an appreciation for unskilled, often inebriated, local homeowners launching burning projectiles into the air. Often into the wee hours of the morning.
In your line of work I’m sure you see the outcome of this careless and haphazard employment of ”fireworks”.
It’s going to be a busy week.

Reactions: Fralphog