PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I buy my pipes based on the type of tobacco I smoke which are flakes, plugs and a rope.
I have a criteria I stick to.

Length- 5.0-6.5
Bowl height 2.0"
Inside Bowl Depth 1.5"
Inside bowl width .75-7/8"
Weight 40-55 grams
These are all approximations but they are a guide I go by. I have been using this criteria for a number of years and it makes pipe buying simpler. I also stick to classic shapes and sandblasted pipes. I buy mostly straight to 1/4 bend as I am not a big fan of full bent pipes.

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I buy my pipes based on the type of tobacco I smoke which are flakes, plugs and a rope.
I have a criteria I stick to.

Length- 5.0-6.5
Bowl height 2.0"
Inside Bowl Depth 1.5"
Inside bowl width .75-7/8"
Weight 40-55 grams
These are all approximations but they are a guide I go by. I have been using this criteria for a number of years and it makes pipe buying simpler. I also stick to classic shapes and sandblasted pipes. I buy mostly straight to 1/4 bend as I am not a big fan of full bent pipes.
That's an exact criteria!

Reactions: Briar Lee

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I’m not really looking to buy another pipe at the moment, but do feel I have a gap for a Danish style saddle billiard in my collection.

All I do is window shopping, mostly following a few artisan pipe makers on Instagram and checking the biweekly updates at SP.com and SP.eu.

My window shopping goes a bit like this:

First I check the new estates, mostly interested in the American and Danish pipes, but will quickly browse the other categories as well.

Then I check new pipes of artisans I have found to make pipes that match my aesthetic preferences, mainly Danish and American school classic pipe shapes but with a modern interpretation.

I’m quite picky so have a lot of ‘filters’:
- I prefer saddle stems. If it is a tapered stem, the transition between the shank and the stem needs to be visually continuous, not a sudden change in angle where the stem starts.
- I prefer stems that are exactly the same width as the shank, so no stems that cut back in or with a mouth piece that fans out.
- I prefer sandblasts first, smooths second. I don’t like rusticated because that looks artificial to me.
- The shape needs to be visually appealing at first glance, which is why I like checking the updates on SP.com. They make it very easy to see if it is worth checking a pipe further.

The last question I ask to decide if I will continue looking at a pipe to consider buying it is: ‘can I see myself smoking this, and will it get smoked if I add it to my collection’.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have rules of conduct from the Law Society, rules of the courts and rules of the tribunals to deal with every day.

The last place I need more f***ing rules is with my pipes.

Really, what's wrong with you guys?
When you continue to buy the wrong sized pipes for the tobaccos you smoke, then maybe you will get aggravated enough to do something about it and create a strict crtieria in which you will find much more enjoyment of your pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Interesting - hadn’t thought about criteria like this. And - don’t plan on it either. I have a few favorites, but not going to place unnecessary limits on an impulsive disorder and stress myself out like that. ?
If you ever get curious of what types of pipes go with what types of tobacco, get in touch and I will give you my best advice. All I can say now is you are most likely wasting perfectly good tobacco because you are being lazy. I get that.

• Wow
Reactions: timelord

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
If you ever get curious of what types of pipes go with what types of tobacco, get in touch and I will give you my best advice. All I can say now is you are most likely wasting perfectly good tobacco because you are being lazy. I get that.
Not true. Don’t be such a bent apple.

Perhaps you should start a thread and share your opinion so we can all get the education. Why limit to your hose who ask? If so important, tell the world!

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin

In all seriousness, please do start a thread on this. I'm only lately bothering to assign certain pipes to certain genres of tobacco, and I'm all ears regarding others' insights.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Seconded on wanting to hear suggestions and what others use regularly for genre.

I'm currently using a Dublin for English blends, Towne Cobbler cob for burley, small diameter pear wood brandy for Virginia's (that will be substituted with a rhodesian shortly), and a larger diameter cayuga brandy for aromatics.

I'm excited and interested about what others may say.

Jun 25, 2021
England
In all seriousness, please do start a thread on this. I'm only lately bothering to assign certain pipes to certain genres of tobacco, and I'm all ears regarding others' insights.
I think it just happens when it happens.
One day I may choose to use a pipe with a particular blend that I haven't used for it before, and I think wow.
But I doubt that there can be predictable outcomes.
I may be wrong though, and would also like the gentleman to start a thread about it.

Reactions: FLDRD and SBC

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I too would like to hear reasons behind rules/criteria, from anyone who has them and is willing to explain. Often in these forums I will see someone saying: "I prefer inner diameter of .75 to .8." And I wonder, why not wider? Why not narrower? I see preferences for curved stems, rather than straight, and vice versa, and I wonder, Why? What's the reason? Is it easier to clench? Is it the looks?

Of course anyone can say, "I just like it that way." And I don't doubt it. I respect the mysteries of attractions. But as someone who would like to learn more about pipes, I wonder if there are more specific reasons why.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'm no way an expert, but I prefer a wider bowl with mixtures. I think it makes a difference you have a larger burning surface so burning more kinds of tobacco at the same time thus amplifying the taste.

If I smoke a straight virginia, well, its just virginia, so there is no need for a larger burning surface, but untill now I have to test this in a 20-24mm wide bowl. My present wider bowled pipes all touched englishes, so not a smart idea to try to test this.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I'm no way an expert, but I prefer a wider bowl with mixtures. I think it makes a difference you have a larger burning surface so burning more kinds of tobacco at the same time thus amplifying the taste.

If I smoke a straight virginia, well, its just virginia, so there is no need for a larger burning surface, but untill now I have to test this in a 20-24mm wide bowl. My present wider bowled pipes all touched englishes, so not a smart idea to try to test this.

This makes sense to me. The more constituent parts to a mixture, the greater should be the surface area of the burn, in order to burn as many constituent parts at once as possible.

I've thought of this before. I'm curious whether there are any other equally sensible pearls of wisdom out there?

Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Not true. Don’t be such a bent apple.

Perhaps you should start a thread and share your opinion so we can all get the education. Why limit to your hose who ask? If so important, tell the world!
My apologies for high jacking your thread it was not my intention to do so.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
When I first started, my criteria was based on the pipes appearance alone. If I liked the way it looked, I bought it. Many if not most of those pipes are gone now. As I gained in experience and developed my smoking style and preferences, I found that I gravitated heavily towards very similar characteristics in pipes mostly based on overall size, chamber depth, chamber diameter, and weight. It's not really about OCD. It's about learning your style and preferences. Some characteristics are based on my own peculiarities admittedly.

My criteria:

Weight: less than 1.5 oz
Chamber depth: 1.25 to 1.6"
Chamber OD: .75 - .8"
Must pass a pipe cleaner easily
Must have an open and properly cut stem airway (or be worth fixing myself)
Airway in stummel must line up with the stem airway
Airway terminates bottom center of the chamber or very close
Stem/shank must be flush with no or very little gap